Integral Calc: Solving Log(sin(x))^2 from 0 to Pi/2

In summary: Hence the problem is to calculate [tex]2\int_0^{2\pi}log(sin(x))dx[/itex]. For this, we use the fact that [tex]sin(2\pi-x)=sin(x)[/tex]. Hence [tex]\int_0^{2\pi}log(sin(x))dx=\int_0^{2\pi}log(sin(2\pi-x))dx[/itex] Hence [tex]2\int_0^{2\pi}log(sin(x))dx=\int_0^{2\pi}(log(sin(x))+log(sin(2\pi-x))dx[/itex] Hence [tex]2\
mathslover
Hi guys,recently I came across the following integral and need assistance in solving the problem.

The crux of the problem is calculating the definite integral of log(sin(x)*sin(x)) over
the interval ( 0, Pi/2).
Sorry, I made a mistake in typing the integrand.
It should be (Log(sin(x)))^2 instead.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathslover said:
Hi guys,recently I came across the following integral and need assistance in solving the problem.

The crux of the problem is calculating the definite integral of log(sin(x)*sin(x)) over
the interval ( 0, Pi/2).

I think you should post this in the calculus group or try yahoo answers.

Last edited:
Hardly a number theory question!

The problem is [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} log(sin^2(x))dx[/tex]?

It might help to reduce it to [tex]2\int_0^{2\pi} log(sin(x))dx[/itex]
If not, I tend to suspect the integral cannot be written in terms of elementary functions.

a little research reveals the related problem, where apparently the definite integral is calculable in spite of the difficulty of the indefinite one.

the integral of ln(cos) from 0 to x, is called Lobachevsky's integral f(x), and it satisfies the functional equation f(x) = 2f(pi/4 + x/2) - 2f(pi/4 -x/2) - xln(2).

hence the definite integral from 0 to pi/2 equals pi/2 ln(2).

HallsofIvy said:

If not, I tend to suspect the integral cannot be written in terms of elementary functions.

ABSOLUTE VALUE SIGN! :mad:

arildno said:
ABSOLUTE VALUE SIGN! :mad:

sin^2 is always positive?

ice109 said:
sin^2 is always positive?
Sure it is; but sin(x) is not in the interval given.
So, when the "2" is re-placed in front of the logarithm, instead of being an exponent within it, you must put sin(x) within the absolute value sign.

Halls typoed the interval, it was meant to be pi/2 not 2pi. So in the correct interval, absolute value signs are not needed, but for what arildno read off, they were, no were all just a little bit confused here =] Mathwonk's got some good books, because I can't find Lobachevsky integral anywhere =[ But if the function equation holds, then mathwonks value is correct.

see joseph kitchen, calculus.

I am sorry , the integrand should be (log(sin(x)))^2 and the interval is (Pi/2, 0) .-Mathslover

Use a numerical formula (i.g, Gauss's).

I would like to find the definite integral of (log(sin(x)))^2 under the interval (pi/2,0)
Numerical integration can only give a numerical answer

I would like to find the above integral in terms of well-known constants

-Mathslover

Reading through "Ramanujan's notebook Part 2" and "Collected Papers of Ramanujan ",
I chanced upon an entry which solved my problem beautifully.
I just wish that much more can be learned from Ramanujan's work.

-mathslover

Attachments

• integral1.jpg
    integral1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 444
  • integral2.jpg
    integral2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 448
Devilishly Clever! Can the argument be extended to deal with higher powers?

The beautiful point about this calculation is that it is applicable for all positive integers.

Define I(n)=Int((log(sin(x)))^n, {x=0 to pi/2}) then it can be shown that

I(0) = pi/2
I(1) = -(pi/2)*log(2)
I(2) = (pi^3)/(24) + (pi/2)*(log(2))^2

and I(3) is a function of log(2) , pi and Zeta(3)

-mathslover

HallsofIvy said:

This is not very difficult. As [tex]log(sin^2(x))=2 log(sin(x))[/itex]
In the same way as [tex]log(x^2)=2 log x[/itex]

1. What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the calculation of areas under curves or the determination of the volume of solids. It is used to solve problems involving continuous change and is an essential tool in many scientific and engineering fields.

2. What is the significance of solving log(sin(x))^2 from 0 to Pi/2?

Integrating log(sin(x))^2 from 0 to Pi/2 can help determine the area under the curve of this function within the given interval. This can be useful in various applications, such as in physics and engineering, where the function may represent a physical quantity.

3. How do you solve log(sin(x))^2 from 0 to Pi/2?

To solve this integral, you can use the substitution method by letting u = sin(x). This will transform the integral into an easier form, which can then be solved using integration by parts or other integration techniques. Alternatively, you can also use software or calculators to evaluate the integral numerically.

4. What is the relationship between integral calculus and derivatives?

Integral calculus is the inverse process of differentiation, which is the foundation of the derivative. The derivative of a function represents its rate of change, while the integral of a function represents the accumulation of its values. In other words, the two are closely related and can be used to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics, science, and engineering.

5. How can knowing how to solve log(sin(x))^2 from 0 to Pi/2 be useful in real life?

Integrals are used in many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze and model real-world problems. For example, integrating log(sin(x))^2 from 0 to Pi/2 can be used to calculate the work done by a force acting on an object, or to determine the total revenue of a company over a given period of time. It is a powerful tool that has countless real-life applications.