1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral calculation

1. Apr 22, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to calculate the integral:
    [itex]S= \int (d^{N}x) exp(x_{i} A_{ij} x_{j}) = (\frac{\pi^{N}}{detA})^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]
    where the integration is done over (-∞,+∞) , and [itex]A_{ij}=A_{ji}[/itex] (symmetric NxN matrix)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how am I supposed to start calculating... Please don't give explicit answer, just a starting hint??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume you meant to write ##\exp(-\sum_i \sum_j A_{ij} x_i x_j)## instead of ##\exp(x_i A_{ij} x_j)##; note the sign difference, among other things. If so, look at 'Cholesky Decomposition'; see, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesky_decomposition. That reduces the quadratic form to a sum of squares and thus reduces your integral to a sequence of standard Gaussians. Also: there are symmetric matrices A that make your so-called result false, so you had better find out what the true question really is.

4. Apr 22, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

In fact the question is introductory to get into calculating:
    [itex] \int d^{N}\theta d^{N}\bar{\theta} exp(-\bar{\theta}_{i}A_{ij} \theta_{j})[/itex]
    for [itex]\theta[/itex] being grassmann variables...
    My problem with that integral, is the case of finding the normal "gaussian" integral....for which I have:
    [itex]exp(-a \bar{\theta} \theta)= 1-a \bar{\theta} \theta[/itex]
    which gives as a result after integrating:
    [itex] \int d\theta d\bar{\theta} (1-a \bar{\theta} \theta))= -a [/itex]
    (or should I first anticommute the [itex]\theta[/itex]s?)
    If I use the same procedure as for the normal multidimensional gaussian integral (I'm asking about) -after diagonalizing the A etc- I will get:
    [itex] \int d^{N}\theta d^{N}\bar{\theta} exp(\sum_{i}-\bar{\theta}_{i}A_{ii} \theta_{i})= ∏_{i} (-A_{ii}) ≠ detA[/itex]
    which I find everywhere as a result.... well it depends on the dimensions, because for N=even then indeed I get the [itex]detA[/itex] result...otherwise (if N is odd) I'm getting a minus overall sign...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  5. Apr 23, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I guess that's not a Grassmann integral but a usual real integral. The trick is to realize that you can diagonalize the matrix with an SO(N) transformation. Then everything splits in a product of single Gaussians, and this product can be written in terms of the determinant. Note that there should be the sign change as indicated in posting #2. The sum symbols are not necessary, if the Einstein summation convention is used.

Of course, you should also check for which matrices the integral exists at all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted