Understanding the Relationship of Integral Calculus: A vs. (x-A)f(x) = 0

In summary: The first equation should be Integral [ x f(x) ] - [ d/dx A ] dx NOTIntegral ( x - A ) f(x) dxThis is using the rule that the integral of a sum is the sum of the integrals due tothe linearity of integration.In summary, the two relations are same as long as the integration limits are such that the integration covers the entire range of normalization.
Rajini
Hello all,

I wanted to know whether the following two relations are same.
[tex]
\int x\;f(x)\;{\rm d}x = {\rm A}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\int (x-{\rm A})\;f(x)\;{\rm d}x = 0
[/tex]
are same?
'A' is some positive number, distribution function f(x) is normalized to 1. (i am trying to understand some details of first moment of f(x) and got this doubt.)
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rajini said:
Hello all,

I wanted to know whether the following two relations are same.
[tex]
\int x\;f(x)\;{\rm d}x = {\rm A}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\int (x-{\rm A})\;f(x)\;{\rm d}x = 0
[/tex]
are same?
'A' is some positive number, distribution function f(x) is normalized to 1.
thanks.

Looks the same as long as the integration limits are such that the integration covers the entire range of normalization. I'm not a mathematician, but I'm bothered by the unspecified integration limits.

Integration covers entire range in normalization. And for both equations the same integration limits.
f(x) is a normalized function. In the above 2 equation the same f(x) is used.
thanks.
edit:Stevenb, I solved, both are same.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the A in the 2nd [lower] equation needs to be at least d/dx A or the derivative of A.
Then by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, the integral of the derivative of A is = A.

Even then the algebra looks incorrect.

The second equation should be
Integral [ x f(x) ] - [ d/dx A ] dx NOT
Integral ( x - A ) f(x) dx

This is using the rule that the integral of a sum is the sum of the integrals due to
the linearity of integration.

Last edited:
Hi paulfr,

do you mean this :
[tex]

\int \left( x-\frac{\rm dA}{{\rm d}{x}}\right)\;f(x)\;{\rm d}x = 0

[/tex]

If that is a definite integral and \(\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)dx= 1\) then it is true that
[tex]\int_a^b (x- A)f(x) dx= \int_a^b xf(x)dx- A\int f(x)dx= \int_a^b xf(x)dx- A= 0[/tex]
so
[tex]\int_a^b xf(x) dx= A[/tex].

HallyofIvy,
I never thought that it will be very simple as you show. thanks.

Rajini said:
Hi paulfr,

do you mean this :
[tex]

\int \left( x-\frac{\rm dA}{{\rm d}{x}}\right)\;f(x)\;{\rm d}x = 0

[/tex]

No I did not mean that.

My original post was wrong.
Please see the correction.
The A constant is not multiplied by f(x).

HallsofIvy said:
If that is a definite integral and \(\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)dx= 1\) then it is true that
[tex]\int_a^b (x- A)f(x) dx= \int_a^b xf(x)dx- A\int f(x)dx= \int_a^b xf(x)dx- A= 0[/tex]
so
[tex]\int_a^b xf(x) dx= A[/tex].

Your first line here implies that the integral of f(x) dx = 1
How do you arrive at that ?

HallsofIvy didn't specify but he intended that [a,b] is the entire range of distribution, and since f(x) is normalized, by definition [tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx = 1[/tex]

Hi Paulfr,
I already informed that my function is normalized to 1. So integral of f(x)=1.

1. What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of integrals and their properties. It is used to calculate the area under a curve, which can be applied to real-world problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is integral calculus important?

Integral calculus is important because it allows us to find the exact value of a quantity that is changing continuously. It has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

3. What are the two types of integrals in calculus?

The two types of integrals in calculus are definite integrals and indefinite integrals. A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral has no limits and represents a family of functions.

4. How is integral calculus related to differential calculus?

Integral calculus and differential calculus are closely related. In fact, they are considered as inverse operations of each other. Differential calculus deals with the rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of the function over a given interval.

5. What are some tips for solving integral calculus problems?

Some tips for solving integral calculus problems include identifying the type of integral (definite or indefinite), using the correct integration techniques (such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions), and carefully considering the limits of integration. It is also helpful to double-check your answer by differentiating it to see if it matches the original function.