Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral calculus problem

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    Deleted

None

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2
    What class is this for, where did the problem come from. A text or written by prof?

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3
    That is just Cal 1 class in college level...I guess it is written by my professor.
    Is that too difficult??lol

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4
    This is plain impossible. The solution can be expressed in terms of the error function if it was negative x squared (which is not elementary):

$$\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{erf}(3)\sqrt{\pi}}{2}$$

But since it is positive, we need to use the Dawson integral function. The answer then becomes

$$\displaystyle e^9\mathrm{Di}(3)$$

where Di denotes the Dawson integral.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  6. Jun 7, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suggest you reread the problem and then, possibly, ask your teacher if there has not been a typo. If the function were [itex]xe^{x^2}[/itex], this would be easy- and . But the function [itex]e^{x^2}[/itex] cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions.

7. Jun 7, 2012 #6
    Your professor is sneaky, you really must make use of all the data:

[tex] \int f(x) dx=x f(x)-\int f'(x)xdx=xf(x)-\int e^{x^2}(\frac{x^2}{2})'dx=xf(x)-\frac{1}{2} \int (e^{x^2})' dx=xf(x)-\frac{e^{x^2}}{2}+c[/tex]

Now, since this is a definite integral:

[tex]\int_0^3 f(x) dx=3f(3)-\frac{e^{3^2}}{2}-0f(0)+\frac{e^{0^2}}{2}=21-\frac{e^{3^2}}{2}+\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook