Find Values of a for Integral Calculus Homework

So, the final answer is a = 2.62 and a = 2.04. In summary, to find the values of a > 0 such that the integral of 1/(1+x^2) from a to a^2 is equal to 0.22, one must solve the equation arctan(a^2) - arctan(a) = 0.22 using the tangent identity and trigonometry. The final solutions are a = 2.62 and a = 2.04.
planauts

Homework Statement

Find the values of a > 0, such that [tex] \int_{a }^{a^2} \frac{1}{1+x^2} dx = 0.22[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated it and got:

[tex]\int_{a }^{a^2} \frac{1}{1+x^2} dx = 0.22 [/tex]

[tex]arctan(a^2) - arctan(a) = 0.22[/tex]

I am stuck after this, how would I solve this :-/

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just apply <tangent> on both sides of your equation, use some trigonometry and see what you get

[tex]a^2 - a - tan(0.22) = 0[/tex]
I got 1.188 and -0.188
The correct answer is a = 2.04, 2.62

You might want to look up (or prove) the correct identity for [tex]\tan (A-B)[/tex].

fzero said:
You might want to look up (or prove) the correct identity for [tex]\tan (A-B)[/tex].

I don't think that the tangent is the problem. I think my equation is wrong for some reason. Because when I graphed it the points don't make sense.

Do you see anything wrong with my math (integrating 1/(1+x^2) etc.)?

The integration is ok. The trigonometry is the issue.

bigubau said:
The integration is ok. The trigonometry is the issue.

Then why doesn't the answer from the key work in the equation :-/

planauts said:
Then why doesn't the answer from the key work in the equation :-/

Are you using degrees instead of radians?

Let's try it with 2.04

Equation proofing is: arctan (2.04^2) = 76.488 deg. arctan 2.04 = 63.886 deg. Difference is 13.602 degrees = 0.23 radians.

So it's correct. The other solution can be checked for accuracy in the same manner.

bigubau said:
Let's try it with 2.04

Equation proofing is: arctan (2.04^2) = 76.488 deg. arctan 2.04 = 63.886 deg. Difference is 13.602 degrees = 0.23 radians.

So it's correct. The other solution can be checked for accuracy in the same manner.

You are saying that [tex] arctan(a^2) - arctan(a) = 0.22 [/tex] is the correct equation.

So that's good. But now the problem is manipulating the equation to get the value of a.
How would I do that?

You said:
bigubau said:
Just apply <tangent> on both sides of your equation, use some trigonometry and see what you get

I think that is where I made the mistake...I have to apply <tangent> to the whole "left hand" side as a one. I split the tangent and distributed it. I don't think that is allowed.

So if I change it: [tex] tan[arctan(a^2) - arctan(a)] = tan(0.22) [/tex]

Is this what fzero meant?
eal6jk.jpg

[tex]\frac{a^2 - a}{1 - a^2 * a} = \frac{a^2 - a}{1 - a^3} = 0.22 [/tex]

[tex]a^2 - a = 0.22 (1 - a^3)[/tex]
[tex]0 = 0.22 - 0.22 a^3 - a^2 + a[/tex]

I got a = 1 OR a = -5.3588 OR a = -0.2866

Last edited:
planauts said:
Is this what fzero meant?
eal6jk.jpg

Yes but

[tex]\tan(\theta_1 - \theta_2 ) = \frac{\tan \theta_1 - \tan\theta_2}{1 + \tan \theta_1 \tan\theta_2}, [/tex]

so you should find

[tex]\frac{a^2 - a}{1 \mathbf{+} a^2 * a} = \frac{a^2 - a}{1 \mathbf{+} a^3} = 0.22 [/tex]

Looks likes a nasty cubic one gets. Cardano's formulae should be used to solve it or Maple, Mathematica if you have them.

fzero said:
Yes but

[tex]\tan(\theta_1 - \theta_2 ) = \frac{\tan \theta_1 - \tan\theta_2}{1 + \tan \theta_1 \tan\theta_2}, [/tex]

so you should find

[tex]\frac{a^2 - a}{1 \mathbf{+} a^2 * a} = \frac{a^2 - a}{1 \mathbf{+} a^3} = 0.22 [/tex]

I got -0.184556093 and 1.946862606 = a, which still isn't right :(

fzero said:
Yes but

so you should find

planauts said:
I got -0.184556093 and 1.946862606 = a, which still isn't right :(

There's still a little mistake there. You are taking tangent value on both sides, remember? :)

So, it should read something like this:
[tex]\tan \left( \arctan(a ^ 2) - \arctan(a) \right) = \tan (0.22)[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{a ^ 2 - a}{1 + a ^ 3} = \tan (0.22)[/tex].

Can you take it from here? :)

And, by the way, the book seems to have missed one possible value for a.

VietDao29 said:
There's still a little mistake there. You are taking tangent value on both sides, remember? :)

So, it should read something like this:
[tex]\tan \left( \arctan(a ^ 2) - \arctan(a) \right) = \tan (0.22)[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{a ^ 2 - a}{1 + a ^ 3} = \tan (0.22)[/tex].

Can you take it from here? :)

And, by the way, the book seems to have missed one possible value for a.

Oh my god! Thank you so much. I don't know why I wasn't seeing this...
I got 2.61737, 2.0416455 AND -0.223619421 as the roots.

Thanks to everyone who helped me, especially fzero :)

planauts said:
Oh my god! Thank you so much. I don't know why I wasn't seeing this...
I got 2.61737, 2.0416455 AND -0.223619421 as the roots.

Thanks to everyone who helped me, especially fzero :)

Yup, looks good to me.

However, since the problem just asks for positive values of a (a > 0), so you don't need to take a = -0.223619421 into consideration.

1. What is the purpose of finding values of "a" in integral calculus homework?

The values of "a" in integral calculus homework are used to determine the limits of integration, which are necessary for solving the integral. They also help to determine the type of integral (definite or indefinite) and the method of integration that should be used.

2. How do you find values of "a" in integral calculus homework?

To find the values of "a" in integral calculus homework, you need to first identify the limits of integration and the expression inside the integral. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to solve for "a". You may also need to use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression before solving for "a".

3. What are some common techniques for finding values of "a" in integral calculus homework?

Some common techniques for finding values of "a" in integral calculus homework include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques are used to simplify the integral and solve for "a". Other techniques such as trigonometric substitution, u-substitution, and integration by partial fractions may also be useful in certain cases.

4. Are there any tips for finding values of "a" in integral calculus homework?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help with finding values of "a" in integral calculus homework. First, it is important to carefully read the problem and identify the limits of integration and the expression inside the integral. Then, you can try different techniques and see which one works best for the given problem. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of integrals to become more familiar with the techniques and improve your problem-solving skills.

5. How can I check my answers when finding values of "a" in integral calculus homework?

One way to check your answers when finding values of "a" in integral calculus homework is to plug the values back into the original integral and see if it equals the given value. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph the integral and see if the area under the curve matches the given value. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and make sure you followed all the steps correctly.