1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral check

1. Jul 19, 2009 #1
    Hey i have this integral √1+y^2-(cothφ)ydy(with the square root on consisting of 1+y^2. I evaluated it but I just wanna you guys to check and see if you think its good. For the radical part I used a trig substitution y=tanφ
    The integral of tanφ is
    ln |sec x|
    And for the (cothφ)y part I figured it would just be (cothφ)y^2/2 because the function is in terms of dy and I figured I just integrate with respect to y. So this gives me the final answer
    ln |sec x|-(cothφ)y^2/2 for my final. Does this look good to you guys? My only concern about this is since my y=tanφ would I have to substitute it for the the y after the cothφ?
    Or I might be thinking of this completely wrong. Need advice!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[tex]\int ( \sqrt{1+y^2} -y coth \phi) dy[/tex]

if that is your integral, then your final answer is wrong I believe.

For

[tex]\int \sqrt{1+y^2} dy[/tex]

if y=tan[itex]\theta[/itex], then what is dy= ?
    Then you will need to integrate more than tan[itex]\theta[/itex]

4. Jul 19, 2009 #3
    so my dy would be sec^2φ.
    So if i plug that in il get
    ln |sec x|-ycothφsec^2φ. So would i have to plug in my y=tanφ for my y in front of the cothφ? If not would it just be ln |sec x|-y^2/2cothφsec^2φ?

5. Jul 19, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well firstly it is not wise to put the substituting variable as a symbol in the the integrand.

So if you put y=tan[itex]\theta[/itex], use [itex]\theta[/itex] as the new variable and not [itex]\phi[/itex]

In your original post, -(cothφ)y2/2 this part is correct. It is the first anti-derivative that is wrong.

so back to it now. Yes dy= sec[itex]^2 \theta \ d\theta[/itex]

[tex]\int \sqrt{1+y^2} dy \equiv \int (\sqrt{1+tan^2\theta} )sec^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

Now do you know an identity for [itex]1+tan^2 \theta[/itex] ?

6. Jul 20, 2009 #5
    yes it would be sec^2φ. Then I would square that and it would become secφ then multiply it be the sec^2φ I had for my dy. So im basically integrating sec^3φ?

7. Jul 20, 2009 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

yep.

8. Jul 20, 2009 #7
    thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook