Integral completing the square

In summary, the integral $\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{16+4x-2{x}^{2}}}dx$ can be simplified by factoring out 2 and completing the square, resulting in the integral $\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\left[9-{(x-1)}^{2}\right]}}dx$. This can then be further simplified by using a trigonometric substitution and reducing the integral to $\frac{1}{3\sqrt{2}}\int \frac{1}{\cos\left({x}\right)}dx$. After computing the anti-derivative and back-substituting for $\theta$, the final answer is $\frac{\sqrt{2}}
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{16+4x-2{x}^{2}}}dx$
factored out 2 then completed the square
$\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\left[9-{(x-1)}^{2}\right]}}dx$
next?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would then write:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{3^2-(x-1)^2}}\,dx\)

I would then consider the trigonometric substitution:

\(\displaystyle x-1=3\sin(\theta)\)

Can you proceed?

$$I=\frac{1}{3\sqrt{2}}\int \frac{1}{\cos\left({x}\right)}dx $$
What about dx?

Your denominator should have $\cos(\theta)$ (as long as it is non-negative), to express $dx$ as a function of $\theta$, implicitly differentiate the substitution and leave in differential form...:D

as a function of θ, implicitly differentiate the substitution and leave in differential form...

How do you do this?

Since we have:

\(\displaystyle x-1=3\sin(\theta)\)

We may then state:

\(\displaystyle dx=3\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\int \frac{\cos\left({\theta}\right)}{\cos\left({\theta}\right)}d\theta $

I got to this but can't be right

Yes, now reduce the integrand, compute the anti-derivative and then back-substitute for $\theta$. :D

Reducing the $\int$ is $\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\theta$
From $x-1=3\sin\left({\theta}\right)$ and$\theta=\sin^{-1}\left({\frac{x-1}{3}}\right)$
So $\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\sin^{-1}\left({\frac{x-1}{3}}\right)+C$
However the TI gave $x+1$ in the numerator

Last edited:
karush said:
Reducing the $\int$ is $\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\theta$
From $x-1=3\sin\left({\theta}\right)$ and$\theta=\sin^{-1}\left({\frac{x-1}{3}}\right)$
So $\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\sin^{-1}\left({\frac{x-1}{3}}\right)+C$
However the TI gave $x+1$ in the numerator

Then you must have either written the question down incorrectly or input it incorrectly into the calculator, because what you have given is the correct answer to the problem as written.

Your right had sign error on input

1. What is the purpose of completing the square in integrals?

Completing the square is a technique used to manipulate the form of an integral in order to make it easier to solve. It involves adding and subtracting a constant term to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be easily integrated.

2. When should I use the completing the square method in integrals?

Completing the square is most commonly used when dealing with integrals that involve a quadratic function. It is also useful when the integrand contains a square root or when trying to solve for a definite integral.

3. How do I complete the square in an integral?

To complete the square in an integral, first identify the quadratic term in the integrand. Then, divide the coefficient of the quadratic term by 2 and square it. Add this value to both sides of the integral. This will create a perfect square trinomial that can be easily integrated.

4. Can completing the square be used for any type of integral?

Completing the square can be used for any integral that involves a quadratic term. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for solving the integral. It is important to consider other techniques and choose the one that is most appropriate for the given integral.

5. What are the benefits of using completing the square in integrals?

Completing the square can simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate. It can also help in solving for a definite integral by transforming it into a known formula. Additionally, it can be used to solve for the roots of a quadratic equation, which can be useful in certain applications.