1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral (cos x)^2 dx answer

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∫cos2x dx

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the answer, and i know how to get there using:

cos2x+sin2x=1
    cos2x-sin2x=cos2x
    cos2x=(1+cos2x)/2

But why cant i use the chain rule? Can i?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am puzzled by your question. The chain rule is a method for differentiation. Why would you expect to be able to use it to integrate?

Integration is the opposite of differentiation. Perhaps you are asking "why can't I reverse the chain rule to integrate this?".

The chain rule says that if x is a function of some variable, t, and y is a function of x, then [tex]dy/dt= (dy/dx)(dx/dt)[/tex]. To use it we have to multiply by dx/dt. To do that in reverse, which is "substitution", the "dx/dt" term has to already be in the integral, you can't just insert it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. Jul 23, 2014 #3
    u=cosx

therefore...

∫(cos2x)dx = ∫(u2)dx = (1/3)u3/u' + C = (1/3)cosx3/(cosx)' + C = (1/3)cosx3/(-sinx) + C

chain rule reversed?

5. Jul 23, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your second equality, [itex]\int u^2 dx= (1/3)u^3/u'+ C[/itex] is incorrect for precisely the reasons I explained in my first response.

6. Jul 24, 2014 #5
    You must also consider the variable of integration. Since you've made a substitution [itex] u [/itex], you want to integrate with respect to [itex] u [/itex], and as HallsofIvy said, this is moot because of the chain rule.

Ever heard of integration by parts? You should rather think of this as a product, [itex]\int\cos{(x)}\cos{(x)}dx[/itex]. Try integrating this

[itex] (fg)' = f'g+ g'f [/itex]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted