1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral delta

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    This isn't homework per se... It's a question from a book I'm self-studying from.

If [tex]f[/tex] is continuous on [tex][a,b][/tex] and differentiable at a point [tex]c \in [a,b][/tex], show that, for some pair [tex]m,n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex],

[tex]\left | \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}\right | \leq n[/tex] whenever [tex]0 \leq |x-c| \leq \frac{1}{m}[/tex]

------

Since it's differentiable at c I know [tex]\lim_{x \to c}\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/tex] exists...

And it's continuous so I know for whatever [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] I pick there's a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] so that [tex]|f(x)-f(c)| < \epsilon[/tex] when [tex]|x-c| < \delta[/tex]

So I guess 1/m could be delta? And then... ? Not sure how to round this one off

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2
    Re: problem

Couldn't you just conclude that:

[tex]\left | \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}\right | \leq n \Leftrightarrow | f(x)-f(c) | \leq n | x - c | \leq \frac{n}{m}[/tex]

and that you can always find m and n such that this holds as long as [tex]| f(x)-f(c) |[/tex] is finite which is ensured by differentiability?

4. May 13, 2009 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Re: problem

Pick m as the integral part of 1/δ so that 1/δ = m+f. Then δ = 1/(m+f) < 1/m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook