Continuity, Differentiability, and \mathbb{N}: Showing an Inequality

In summary, for a function f that is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable at a point c \in [a,b], it can be shown that for some pair m,n \in \mathbb{N}, the inequality \left | \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}\right | \leq n holds whenever 0 \leq |x-c| \leq \frac{1}{m}. This is due to the existence of \lim_{x \to c}\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c} and the continuity of f, which allows for the choice of an appropriate \delta value. Furthermore, it can be concluded that | f(x)-f(c
This isn't homework per se... It's a question from a book I'm self-studying from.

If [tex]f[/tex] is continuous on [tex][a,b][/tex] and differentiable at a point [tex]c \in [a,b][/tex], show that, for some pair [tex]m,n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex],

[tex]\left | \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}\right | \leq n[/tex] whenever [tex]0 \leq |x-c| \leq \frac{1}{m}[/tex]

------

Since it's differentiable at c I know [tex]\lim_{x \to c}\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/tex] exists...

And it's continuous so I know for whatever [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] I pick there's a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] so that [tex]|f(x)-f(c)| < \epsilon[/tex] when [tex]|x-c| < \delta[/tex]

So I guess 1/m could be delta? And then... ? Not sure how to round this one off

Physics news on Phys.org

Couldn't you just conclude that:

[tex]\left | \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}\right | \leq n \Leftrightarrow | f(x)-f(c) | \leq n | x - c | \leq \frac{n}{m}[/tex]

and that you can always find m and n such that this holds as long as [tex]| f(x)-f(c) |[/tex] is finite which is ensured by differentiability?

... said:
So I guess 1/m could be delta? And then... ?

Pick m as the integral part of 1/δ so that 1/δ = m+f. Then δ = 1/(m+f) < 1/m.

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that refers to the smoothness and connectedness of a function. A function is said to be continuous if it has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting your pencil from the paper.

2. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

A differentiable function is one that has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function can be calculated at any point. In other words, the function is smooth and has no sharp turns or corners.

3. How do you show an inequality using mathematical induction?

To show an inequality using mathematical induction, you need to follow these steps:

• Step 1: Prove the inequality for the base case, usually n = 1.
  • Step 2: Assume that the inequality holds for some arbitrary value of n, called the inductive hypothesis.
  • Step 3: Use the inductive hypothesis to prove that the inequality also holds for n+1.
  • Step 4: Conclude that the inequality is true for all values of n by the principle of mathematical induction.

4. What is the significance of the set of natural numbers (\mathbb{N}) in this context?

The set of natural numbers (\mathbb{N}) is important in the study of continuity, differentiability, and inequalities because it represents the most basic and fundamental type of numbers. These are the positive integers (1, 2, 3, ...) and are used to count objects in the real world. In mathematical proofs, the natural numbers are often used as the base case for induction, as mentioned in the previous question.

5. Is it possible for a function to be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous but not differentiable. This can happen when the function has a sharp corner or point of discontinuity, which means that the derivative does not exist at that point. An example of such a function is the absolute value function, |x|, at x = 0.