Integral Domains and Fields

In summary, an integral domain is a commutative ring without zero divisors, while a field is a commutative ring with multiplicative inverses. Fields are a type of integral domain, but not all integral domains are fields. These concepts are used in abstract algebra, number systems, and other areas of mathematics and science, with applications in cryptography and computer science. An example of an integral domain that is not a field is the ring of integers.
hsong9

Homework Statement

a) show that Q(√5i) = {r +s√5i | r,s in Q} is a subfield of C.
b)show that Z(√5i) = {n + m√5i | n,m in Z} is a subring of C and find the units.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Let a = r + s√5i, b = r - s√5i for a,b in Q(√5i).
a + b = 2r, ab = r^2 + 5s^2, and -a= -r - s√5i are all in Q(√5i),
so Q(√5i) is a subring of C.
Suppose that a != 0 in Q(√5i). If a = r + s√5i, this means r^2 - 2s^2 != 0 in Q
because √5i not in Q. But then 1/(r^2 - 2s^2) in Q, so the fact that ab = r^2 - 2s^2
implies that a^-1 = b * 1/(r^2 - 2s^2) exists in Q(√5i). Hence Q(√5i) is a subfiled of C.
Correct?

If correct, similarly, I could show Z(√5i) is a subring of C.
and the units are a^-1 = 1/a
I am not sure whether the units are right or not.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your solution for part a) is correct. For part b), you are also correct in showing that Z(√5i) is a subring of C. However, the units for Z(√5i) would be different from those in Q(√5i). In Z(√5i), the units would be any element of the form a + bi, where a and b are integers and a^2 + 5b^2 = 1. So the units would be 1, -1, 1 + √5i, -1 + √5i, 1 - √5i, and -1 - √5i.

1. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a commutative ring in which the product of any two non-zero elements is also non-zero. It also has no zero divisors, meaning that if the product of two elements is zero, then at least one of the elements must be zero.

2. What is a field?

A field is a commutative ring in which every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. This means that for every non-zero element a, there exists an element b such that the product of a and b is equal to the multiplicative identity element 1.

3. What is the relationship between integral domains and fields?

A field is a type of integral domain, as every field is also an integral domain. However, not every integral domain is a field. Integral domains are a more general concept, as they only require the non-existence of zero divisors, while fields also require the existence of multiplicative inverses.

4. How are integral domains and fields used in mathematics and science?

Integral domains and fields are fundamental concepts in abstract algebra and are used in many areas of mathematics and science. They are used to study number systems, polynomial equations, and vector spaces, among other things. They also have applications in cryptography, coding theory, and other areas of computer science.

5. Can you give an example of an integral domain that is not a field?

Yes, the ring of integers is an integral domain that is not a field. While every non-zero integer has a multiplicative inverse in the field of rational numbers, not all integers have a multiplicative inverse within the ring of integers.