How can the indefinite integral of e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2) be solved by hand?

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses an indefinite integral involving exponential and polynomial terms. The integral is encountered while solving a second order differential equation and the speaker is looking for a manual technique to solve it. The site mentioned provides a solution using integration by parts.
mishima
$$\int \frac {e^{1/x}} {x(x+1)^2} \, dx$$

I came across this indefinite integral when solving a second order differential equation using reduction of order. My CAS can solve it easy enough, but I was wondering what technique could be used to solve it by hand. I have tried some standard approaches without much luck. Thanks for any insights.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to substitute ##u = 1/x## and after that substitution integration by parts.

Here is a site where you can enter the integral and it will give you a worked-out solution: https://www.integral-calculator.com/

Likes epenguin
Thanks, I was making a mistake with integration by parts. Nifty site!

Likes member 587159

1. What is the function "Integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2)?"

The function "Integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2)" is an integral function that calculates the area under the curve of the mathematical expression e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2). It is a commonly used function in calculus and is used to solve various mathematical problems.

2. How do you solve the integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2)?

To solve the integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2), you can use the substitution method or integration by parts method. In the substitution method, you substitute a variable for the expression in the integral and then solve for the new integral. In the integration by parts method, you break down the integral into two parts and then apply the integration rules to solve for the integral.

3. What is the domain and range of the function "Integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2)?"

The domain of the function "Integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2)" is all real numbers except for x = 0 and x = -1. The range of the function is also all real numbers.

4. What is the significance of the function "Integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2)?"

The function "Integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2)" is significant in calculus as it is used to solve various mathematical problems such as finding the area under a curve, calculating volumes, and finding the average value of a function. It is also used in many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving the integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2)?

Some common mistakes when solving the integral e^(1/x)/(x(x+1)^2) include forgetting to apply the chain rule when using the substitution method, making errors in the integration by parts method, and forgetting to add the constant of integration when solving the integral. It is important to double-check your work and be careful with the steps when solving this integral.