Need help with Integral: e^(-1/x)?

• Thread starter Alexx1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation involves solving an integral of e^(-1/x) and the suggestion is to use the rules for exponential integration. However, it is pointed out that this integral cannot be solved with a simple substitution and may require the use of an exponential integral function.
Alexx1
Can someone help me with this integral?

e^(-1/x)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just follow the rules for exponential integration.

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]e^{u}[/tex] du = [tex]e^{u}[/tex] + C

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
If this is the integral:
[tex]\int e^{-1/x}dx[/tex]

an ordinary substitution is not much help. Alexx1, can you show us the complete integral you're trying to do?

CFDFEAGURU said:
Just follow the rules for exponential integration.

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]e^{u}[/tex] du = [tex]e^{u}[/tex] + C

Thanks
Matt
If the problem were [itex]\int e^u du[/itex], but it isn't and there is no good way to change it to that form.

It looks to me like [itex]\int e^{1/x} dx[/itex] does not have an anti-derivative in terms of elementary functions.

in terms of an exponential integral function...

[itex]
\int \!{{\rm e}^{-{x}^{-1}}}{dx}=x{{\rm e}^{-{x}^{-1}}}-{\rm Ei}_1
\left({x}^{-1} \right)

[/itex]

HallsofIvy,

Yes, now I see that a simple substitution is not the way to proceed. Thanks for correcting me.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is the integral of e^(-1/x)?

The integral of e^(-1/x) is a special function called the exponential integral, symbolized as Ei(x). It is defined as the integral from 0 to x of e^(-t)/t dt.

2. What are the applications of the integral of e^(-1/x)?

The integral of e^(-1/x) has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the solution of differential equations, in the calculation of the area under an exponential curve, and in the evaluation of some probability distributions.

3. Is the integral of e^(-1/x) a continuous function?

No, the integral of e^(-1/x) is not a continuous function. It is only continuous for positive values of x. For x = 0, the integral diverges.

4. Can the integral of e^(-1/x) be expressed in terms of elementary functions?

No, the integral of e^(-1/x) cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. It is a special function that does not have a closed-form expression.

5. How is the integral of e^(-1/x) related to the gamma function?

The integral of e^(-1/x) is closely related to the gamma function. In fact, it can be expressed in terms of the gamma function as Ei(x) = -Γ(0,x). This relationship is useful in evaluating the integral for different values of x.