INTEGRAL{ e^cos(x) dx }

In summary: It won't get you anywhere; the integral is non-elementary, and no amount of manipulation will change that fact. However, you might try to re-express the indefinite integral in terms of some already-defined special functions (as already suggested).
Si14

Homework Statement

I want to solve this integral without using series expansion. The answer should be in a closed form. I wonder if this is possible?
33ze29z.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used numerical methods and was able to solve it numerically for a given interval. However, I need to solve it without using numerical methods and without using series expansion.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using substitution: Let y = cos x

sharks, it seems that it gets more complicated!
I stuck immediately after substitution.

Si14 said:

Homework Statement

I want to solve this integral without using series expansion. The answer should be in a closed form. I wonder if this is possible?
33ze29z.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used numerical methods and was able to solve it numerically for a given interval. However, I need to solve it without using numerical methods and without using series expansion.

Thanks.

I suspect it is not doable in terms of elementary functions. Neither Wolfram Alpha nor Maple 11 can find non-series expressions for the indefinite integral. You might try converting it so some known special (but non-elementary) function, perhaps by using integration by parts and/or substitution methods.

RGV

Si14 said:
sharks, it seems that it gets more complicated!
I stuck immediately after substitution.
[tex]\int e^y.\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}dy[/tex]Then, use integration by parts.

I wonder if it is possible to solve the indefinite integral? I assume the answer to the definite one should be close to the answer I get with numerical methods.

As I said, the primitive function is not elementary
Wolfram Alpha

I checked wolframalpha. However, it gives a series expansion which I can not use.
I wonder if the integration by parts suggested by sharks is doable?

You obviouly don't know what primitive or elementary means. Did you see the first sentence mentioned in wolfram alpha? It tells an even more stringent condition, in terms of "standard mathematical functions", which includes some non-elementary functions (including Bessel functions).

Si14 said:
I checked wolframalpha. However, it gives a series expansion which I can not use.

Try ##u=e^y## and ##dv=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}##
Then, ##du=e^y## and ##v=\cos^{-1}y##

Si14 said:

It won't get you anywhere; the integral is non-elementary, and no amount of manipulation will change that fact. However, you might try to re-express the indefinite integral in terms of some already-defined special functions (as already suggested).

RGV

1. What is the concept of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation or total value of a quantity over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the area under a curve, the volume of a solid, and other applications in mathematics and science.

2. How is the integral of a function calculated?

The integral of a function is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be found by evaluating its antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of the integration. In other words, it involves finding the function whose derivative is the original function and then plugging in the limits of integration.

3. What is the specific integral of e^cos(x)?

The specific integral of e^cos(x) is not a single value but rather a family of functions, as the antiderivative of e^cos(x) cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. Therefore, it is typically evaluated using numerical methods or approximations.

4. What is the significance of e^cos(x) in science and mathematics?

The function e^cos(x) has various applications in science and mathematics, such as in the study of chaotic systems, signal processing, and probability distributions. It also appears in many real-world phenomena, such as the growth of biological populations and the behavior of electrical circuits.

5. How is the integral of e^cos(x) used in practical applications?

The integral of e^cos(x) is used in practical applications to solve problems related to accumulation, such as finding the total distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity or the total charge of a changing electric current. It also has applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.