1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral equality

1. Aug 13, 2005 #1
    Integral equality....

let be a and b real numbers..and let be the integral...

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxf(x)x^{a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(x+y)y^{ib}=0 [/tex] so if this is zero also will be its conjugate:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxf(x)x^{a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(x+y)y^{-ib}=0 [/tex] now let,s suppose we would have that (1-a,-b) is also a zero so:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dxf(x)x^{1-a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(x+y)y^{-ib}=0 [/tex] then my conclusion is that 1-a=a a=1/2 and there is no other solution.. :biggrin: :zzz: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2005 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've *somehow* decided that if your integrals are equal then x must have the same exponent? I don't even know where to begin with what's wrong here, but by your logic shouldn't the same be true for y then, so b=0? Please, tell me this is a joke.

Have you been reading some of the horrible "proofs" of the Riemann Hypothesis you find online? This looks awfully familiar.

4. Aug 16, 2005 #3
    Are you integrating over y in the second integral? x? A nonexistent variable?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?