Discussing Differential & Integral Equations on this Forum

In summary: differential equation, integral equation, differential equation tutorial, integral equation for beginners, solving differential equation, solving integral equation
matematikawan
This forum discuss Differential Equations - ODE, PDE, DDE, SDE, DAE
I know the abbreviation ODE and PDE. But what are DDE and DAE ?
SDE must stand for system of DE.

Do you also discuss Integral Equation in this forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
DDE = Delay Differential Equation, for example

[tex]\frac {dx(t)}{dt} = f(x(t),x(t-\Delta t),x(t-2\Delta t), ...)[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is some finite (non-infinitesimal) sampling interval.SDE = Stochastic Differential Equation, for example

[tex]\frac {dx(t)}{dt} = f(x(t)) + g(x(t))\dot(w(t))[/tex]

where [itex]w(t)[/itex] is a white noise process.DAE = Differential-Algebraic Equation, for example

[tex]\frac 1 2 \frac{d\boldsymbol{x}}{dt}\cdot\frac{d\boldsymbol{x}}{dt} - \frac{\mu}{(\boldsymbol{x}\cdot\boldsymbol{x})^{1/2}} - E = 0[/tex]

or more generally,

[tex]f(t,x,\dot x,\ddot x,...) = 0[/tex]This is as good a spot as any to discuss integral equations in general.

Oop! I got it wrong for SDE. :redface: That's why I have to ask the question.

Thanks D H for the explanation.

Lo! Never been exposed to DDE, SDE, DAE before. What so interesting about those equations?

I have just started looking into integral equations and haven't really appreciate them.
As a generalization, I think we can alway eliminate any integral sign in an integral equation by differentiating the equation. My question is why bother to solve the integral equation when we can solve the corresponding differential equation? We have so many methods for solving DE.
Is it because it is much easier to solve integral equation then the corresponding DE?

matematikawan said:
Never been exposed to DDE, SDE, DAE before. What so interesting about those equations?
DDE and SDE are very important in the signal processing world and in physics. Diffusion, brownian motion, quantum physics, getting a spacecraft to the moon, GPS, ... The list of applications is endless.

As a generalization, I think we can alway eliminate any integral sign in an integral equation by differentiating the equation.
Sometimes, but not always. Maxwell's equations can be expressed in differential or integral form. On the other hand, if you differentiate a Fredholm or Volterra integral equation, you get another integral equation.

D H said:
Sometimes, but not always. Maxwell's equations can be expressed in differential or integral form. On the other hand, if you differentiate a Fredholm or Volterra integral equation, you get another integral equation.

Sorry that I'm really new in this integral equation business. If Maxwell's equations can be expressed in both differential or integral form, then people usually solve which equations. Differential Maxwell equation or integral Maxwell equation ? (If my question make sense.)

A Fredholm or Volterra linear integral equation look something like this

[tex] u(x) = f(x) + \lambda \int{K(x,t) u(t)dt} [/tex]
(the integration limits missing. How do you insert integration limit in latex?)

If the kernel is a polynomial in x then we can always convert the above integral equation into a differential equation. Am I right?
How often in applications that we met integral equation whose kernel is not a polynomial in x?

ps. Similar Threads for: Integral Equation below does not really discuss integral equation. Look more like integration problem!

1. What is the purpose of discussing differential and integral equations on this forum?

The purpose of discussing differential and integral equations on this forum is to share knowledge, insights, and techniques related to these mathematical concepts. This forum serves as a platform for scientists and mathematicians to engage in discussions and exchange ideas about differential and integral equations.

2. Who can participate in discussions on this forum?

Anyone with an interest in differential and integral equations is welcome to participate in discussions on this forum. This includes scientists, mathematicians, students, and anyone else who wants to learn more about these concepts or share their knowledge and expertise.

3. What types of topics are appropriate for discussions on this forum?

Discussions on this forum should focus on topics related to differential and integral equations, such as techniques for solving equations, applications of these equations in different fields, and current research and developments in the field. Discussions about related topics, such as calculus or mathematical modeling, may also be appropriate.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in discussions on this forum?

While there are no strict rules, it is important to maintain a respectful and professional tone in discussions. Personal attacks or inappropriate language will not be tolerated. It is also encouraged to provide clear and well-explained responses and to cite sources when applicable.

5. Can I ask for help with a specific problem or equation on this forum?

Yes, you can ask for help with a specific problem or equation on this forum. However, it is important to provide enough information about the problem and your thought process so that others can effectively assist you. It is also recommended to try solving the problem on your own before asking for help, as this can help you learn and understand the concepts better.