1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral equation

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

The problem
    I want to find ##x## which solves ## 1-x+ \int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt = 0 ##

The attempt
    ##\int^x_1 \frac{\sin t}{t} \ dt = x -1 ## I see that the answer is ##x=1## but I want to be able to calculate it mechanically in case if I get similar problem with other elements. Any suggestions on how I can do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,
    'mechanically' sounds good. But, ##{\sin x\over x}## is (and I https://owlcation.com/stem/How-to-Integrate-sinxx-and-cosxx [Broken])

one of the simplest examples of non-integrable functions in the sense that their antiderivatives cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, in other words, they don't have closed-form antiderivatives.​

However, apart from ##x=1## there shouldn't be too many other solutions ... ##x-1## grows faster than the integral.
    You could also investigate domain [0,x] : with ##{\sin x\over x} < 1## the integral is always different from x-1.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Jan 5, 2017 #3

Rectifier

Gold Member

Okay, thank your for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted