Learn Integral Equations: A Guide for Self-Teaching | ODE Graduate at 19

• Thread starter epr2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: The integral of a function over an interval is a differentiable function, but the integral of a function over a closed interval is not.
epr2008
I'm 19 and i just finished ode at a community college. there are no more math classes for me to take there so I've been planning teaching myself this semester. I was good at calc and ode's so i read about integral equations and figured i would start. I am using a book by Peter Collins but he's not very good at explaining the in between steps. he always says "i'll leave this for the reader to prove." well some of these are really not easy to see... so, I started off trying to prove a lemma he introduced in the first chapter and out of nowhere i ended up with something that i think is much more enlightening i just don't know if its right, so i was looking for some input...

The lemma to be proved:
Suppose that f:[a,b][tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\Re[/tex] is continuous. Then
[tex]\int\limits_a^x {\int\limits_a^{x'} {f(t)dtdx' = \int\limits_a^x {(x - t)f(t)dt} } } [/tex]

Ok so at first before i figured out what he was talking about i started out like the book did with the rhs of the equation. and i thought about it and i said well what is the integral of that? ok integration by parts...

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
F(x) = \int\limits_a^x {(x - t)f(t)dt} \\
u = f(t) \\
du = f'(t)dt \\
dv = (x - t)dt \\
v = xt - {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}{t^2} \\
F(x) = (xt - {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}{t^2})f(t) - \int {(xt - {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}{t^2})f'(t)dt} ]\nolimits_a^x \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Now if f is a continuously differentiable function in t then integration by parts will eventually yield a differential equation with variable coefficients of the form
[tex]F(x) = \sum\limits_0^\infty {{{( - 1)}^n}} {f^n}(t)\frac{{(x + t)n + 2x + t}}{{(n + 1)(n + 2)}}{t^{n + 1}} ]\nolimits_a^x [/tex]

Now obviously had i chosen u=(x-t) and dv=f(t)dt then i would have come up with another integral but with no derivatives in the equation right? Is this somewhat along the lines of the basic theory of differential and integral equations or am i just wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are completely on the wrong track. What you need to do is look at the domain of integration in the (x',t) plane. The original integral is t first then x'. Figure out what the domain would look like if you did x' first then t. Once you do that, the answer you need immediately pops out.

Oh i know that for that particular theorem i was on the wrong track. I figured that out problem out. i was just wondering if that was a reasonable argument?

There was nothing in the original statement which said that f had any derivatives. Even if it was analytic, I don't see how your approach gets you anywhere.

i understand it doesn't really get me anywhere but what i was trying to do is get a feel for where integral equations come from. so i tried to relate it to a differential equation.

and yes it doesn't say anything about derivatives i was just looking at it from a different perspective... if a function is integrable on an interval shouldn't it also be differentiable on that same interval?

if a function is integrable on an interval shouldn't it also be differentiable on that same interval?
absolutely not!

1. What are integral equations?

Integral equations are equations that involve an unknown function within an integral. They are used to model a wide range of physical and mathematical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and signal processing.

2. Why are integral equations important?

Integral equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for solving complex problems that cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods. They also have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. What is the difference between a differential equation and an integral equation?

A differential equation involves derivatives of a function, while an integral equation involves integrals of a function. In other words, a differential equation relates a function to its derivatives, while an integral equation relates a function to its integrals.

4. How are integral equations solved?

There is no general method for solving all types of integral equations, as the solution technique depends on the specific form of the equation. Some common methods for solving integral equations include the method of successive approximations, the method of undetermined coefficients, and the method of separation of variables.

5. What are some applications of integral equations?

Integral equations have a wide range of applications, including solving boundary value problems in physics and engineering, modeling physical systems such as heat transfer and fluid flow, and solving problems in probability and statistics. They are also used in image and signal processing, and in the study of differential and integro-differential equations.