1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral equations problem.

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to read arken's section on integral equations because I need it for a problem I am trying to attack. I am stuck on a part of a page. I have attached the relevant excerpt from the book.(Not the whole book because it is copyrighted)

2. Relevant equations

I am stuck on equation 16.9. That is I am not sure how for the special case of [tex]v\left( {\vec r,\vec r'} \right) = v\left( {\vec r} \right)\delta \left( {\vec r - \vec r'} \right)[/tex], that
    [tex]\left( {{\nabla ^2} + {a^2}} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r} \right) = \int {v\left( {\vec r,\vec r'} \right)} \psi \left( {\vec r} \right){d^3}\left( {r'} \right)[/tex] reduces to [tex]\left( {{\nabla ^2} + {a^2}} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r} \right) = v\left( {\vec r} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r} \right)[/tex]
    when
    3. The attempt at a solution
    If [tex]{\vec r}[/tex] is in the region of integration [tex]\Omega [/tex] (case 1), then using integration by parts, the reduced RHS is given by [tex]\int\limits_\Omega ^{} {v\left( {\vec r'} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r'} \right)} \delta \left( {\vec r - \vec r'} \right){d^3}\left( {r'} \right) = {\left[ {v\left( {r'} \right)v(r')} \right]_\Omega } - \int_\Omega ^{} d \left( {v\left( {\vec r'} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r'} \right)} \right)[/tex] since in general the integral of [tex]\delta \left( {\vec x} \right)[/tex] over any region containing [tex]\vec x = 0[/tex] is 1. The second integral [tex]\int_\Omega ^{} d \left( {v\left( {\vec r'} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r'} \right)} \right)[/tex] is just [tex]{\left[ {v\left( {r'} \right)v(r')} \right]_\Omega }[/tex]. Therefore the RHS is 0 which is not the LHS.

Case 2: [tex]\vec r \notin \Omega [/tex]. Doing the same integration by parts, the reduced RHS is
    [tex]{\left[ {v\left( {r'} \right)v(r')} \right]_\Omega }\int_\Omega ^{} {\delta \left( {\vec r - \vec r'} \right)} {d^3}\left( {r'} \right) - \int_\Omega ^{} {\left( {\left( {\int_\Omega ^{} {\delta \left( {\vec r - \vec r'} \right){d^3}\left( {r'} \right)} } \right)d\left( {v\left( {\vec r'} \right)\psi \left( {\vec r'} \right)} \right)} \right)} = 0 - 0 \ne RHS[/tex].

In summary I am having trouble verifying that for the special case of 16.9, 16.8 reduces to 16.6.

Also is [tex]\partial \Omega [/tex] fixed or not?(my guess is that the boundary is fixed because Arken transforms this in to a fredholm equation of the second kind later on in the page(included in the excerpt.)

Thanks in advance for replying.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2
    Hello,

You simply have to consider that

[itex]\int_{\Omega}\mathrm{d}x f(x) \delta(x) = f(0) \; \mathrm{if} \; 0\in \Omega, \mathrm{or} =0 \; \mathrm{if} \; 0\notin\Omega[/itex];

no integration by parts is needed :)

Ilm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted