1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral evaluation

1. Dec 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}x^{2014}\sin x {\rm{d}}x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For such problems there are probably some extremely clever solutions, but I can't see any easy way here.
    If I were to find the antiderivative of this: I would eventually come up with a sum: [tex]-\frac{2014!}{0!}x^{0} \sin x + \frac{2014!}{1!}x\cos x + \frac{2014!}{2!}x^2 \sin x -\frac{2014!}{3!}x^3 \cos x + ... +\\ \frac{2014!}{2013!}x^{2013} \sin x -\frac{2014!}{2014!}x^{2014} \cos x[/tex]
    [is there a way to write this sum in sigma notation?]
    Are there 2015 summands?
    All summands with sine in them sum up to 0, because [itex]\sin\pm\pi = 0[/itex]. and [itex]\cos\pm\pi = -1[/itex].
    I have some series left from evaluating at pi and I have exactly the same series evaluated at -pi. Is the integral equal to 0? EDIT: NO, I forgot the x terms.

Is there any, more elegant solution to this problem, though?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

An integral of the form ##\int x^n sin(x) \space dx## would usually be handled with multiple applications of integration by parts, but when ##n## is large this is obviously out of the question without the aid of a computer.

There is actually a standard form for such an integral, which relies on the notion of summing up the ##sin(x)## and ##cos(x)## terms (you have already noticed this). The standard form in terms of the gamma function is:

$$\int x^n sin(x) \space dx = - \frac{i^n}{2} \left[ \Gamma(n+1, -ix) - (-1)^n \Gamma(n+1, -ix) \right]$$

Substituting your limits should help you confirm.

EDIT: Alternatively, express ##sin(x)## in terms of its power series, bring the ##x^{2014}## in and presto I believe.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  4. Dec 9, 2014 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x^2014 is an even function. sin(x) is an odd function. What kind of function is the product?

5. Dec 9, 2014 #4
    I'm not sure, going with my gut I would say it's an odd function, which means that F(-x) + F(x) = 0
    The evaluation would then look like F(pi) - F(-pi) = 2F(pi)?

6. Dec 9, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's an odd function. The integral of any odd function on an interval like [-a,a] that's symmetric around the origin is zero. You haven't seen this before?

7. Dec 9, 2014 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Not quite. If ##f(x)## is odd on ##[-L, L]## or ##(-L, L)##, then ##\int_{-L}^{L} f(x) \space dx = 0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted