1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral for fourier coefficients for expansion of free particle in spher harmonics

1. Jun 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

consider the integral,
    [tex]{C_\ell } = \frac{{2\ell + 1}}{{2{j_\ell }(kr)}}\frac{1}{{{2^\ell }\ell !}}\int_{ - 1}^{ + 1} {\frac{{{d^\ell }({{({x^2} - 1)}^\ell })}}{{d{x^\ell }}}{e^{{\bf{i}}krx}}dx} [/tex]

how do you do it?

2. Relevant equations

l = integer, as in the oft-occurring l*(l+1)*hbar
    j sub l = the l-th bessel function
    x = cos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

this is related to Shankar 12.6.10

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

4. Jun 20, 2011 #3
    Re: integral for fourier coefficients for expansion of free particle in spher harmoni

Hi Vela, thanks for your post. I looked up the addition theorem for spherical harmonics as it appeared in Jackson's electrodynamics text (rather than Wikipedia), and tried to use that to represent the Legendre polynomial I have to integrate. I wound up just writing a tautology (e.g., x = x; true, and totally useless). Based on what the attached .pdf says, could you elaborate on what it means to use the addition theorem? Is there some standard trick I should be doing that's written in a math-methods text (e.g., Boas or Arfken/Weber) that I should know of or could read up on?

5. Jun 21, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: integral for fourier coefficients for expansion of free particle in spher harmoni

Sorry, I was thinking of a completely different problem. Just ignore what I said earlier.

I found the problem in Arfken on page 665, problem 12.4.7. You got to:
    [tex]C_lj_l(kr) = \frac{2l+1}{2}\int_{-1}^1 P_l(x)e^{ikrx}\,dx[/tex]
    The hint for the problem says to then differentiate this [itex]l[/itex] times with respect to kr, then set r=0, and, finally, evaluate the remaining integral.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  6. Jun 21, 2011 #5

Ah, brilliant! Something new to try--I found the relation you're talking about, and Arfken/Weber provides enough instruction to get me started and keep me busy for awhile.... Be back in a bit, maybe....

7. Jun 21, 2011 #6

it is early so this may be unfounded but could you not use integration by parts

to have a series of expressions like

[tex] \Sigma_{j=0}^{l-1} [ \frac{d^j (x^2 -1)^l}{dx^j} e^{ikrx}]_{-1}^{1} + (-1)^l i^l (kr)^l \int_{-1}^{+1} (x^2 - 1 )^l e^{ikrx} [/tex]

since the series ends at l-1 the terms in the series will all have a factor of (x^2 -1) which is 0 at both +1 and -1 so you are left with the final integral does that help at all

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook