Integrating {C_\ell }: An Overview

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, this equation is related to the integration by parts technique for solving an equation of the form which, when simplified, is x = cos(theta).
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

consider the integral,
[tex]{C_\ell } = \frac{{2\ell + 1}}{{2{j_\ell }(kr)}}\frac{1}{{{2^\ell }\ell !}}\int_{ - 1}^{ + 1} {\frac{{{d^\ell }({{({x^2} - 1)}^\ell })}}{{d{x^\ell }}}{e^{{\bf{i}}krx}}dx} [/tex]

how do you do it?

Homework Equations

l = integer, as in the oft-occurring l*(l+1)*hbar
j sub l = the l-th bessel function
x = cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

this is related to Shankar 12.6.10

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Vela, thanks for your post. I looked up the addition theorem for spherical harmonics as it appeared in Jackson's electrodynamics text (rather than Wikipedia), and tried to use that to represent the Legendre polynomial I have to integrate. I wound up just writing a tautology (e.g., x = x; true, and totally useless). Based on what the attached .pdf says, could you elaborate on what it means to use the addition theorem? Is there some standard trick I should be doing that's written in a math-methods text (e.g., Boas or Arfken/Weber) that I should know of or could read up on?

Attachments

• 350 - pr 6-10 - spherical coordinate fourier coefficients for free particle.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 159

Sorry, I was thinking of a completely different problem. Just ignore what I said earlier.

I found the problem in Arfken on page 665, problem 12.4.7. You got to:
[tex]C_lj_l(kr) = \frac{2l+1}{2}\int_{-1}^1 P_l(x)e^{ikrx}\,dx[/tex]
The hint for the problem says to then differentiate this [itex]l[/itex] times with respect to kr, then set r=0, and, finally, evaluate the remaining integral.

Last edited:

Ah, brilliant! Something new to try--I found the relation you're talking about, and Arfken/Weber provides enough instruction to get me started and keep me busy for awhile... Be back in a bit, maybe...

Last edited:

it is early so this may be unfounded but could you not use integration by parts

to have a series of expressions like

[tex] \Sigma_{j=0}^{l-1} [ \frac{d^j (x^2 -1)^l}{dx^j} e^{ikrx}]_{-1}^{1} + (-1)^l i^l (kr)^l \int_{-1}^{+1} (x^2 - 1 )^l e^{ikrx} [/tex]

since the series ends at l-1 the terms in the series will all have a factor of (x^2 -1) which is 0 at both +1 and -1 so you are left with the final integral does that help at all

Last edited:

What is "Integrating {C_\ell }: An Overview"?

"Integrating {C_\ell }: An Overview" is a scientific paper that provides a comprehensive overview of the process of integrating the C_l variable, which represents the angular power spectrum of the cosmic microwave background radiation. It discusses the theoretical background, numerical techniques, and practical applications of this integration process.

Why is integrating C_l important in scientific research?

Integrating C_l is important because it allows scientists to analyze and interpret the data from observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation. This data contains valuable information about the early universe and can help us better understand the origins and evolution of our universe.

What are the main challenges in integrating C_l?

The main challenges in integrating C_l include dealing with noise and uncertainties in the data, choosing appropriate numerical techniques, and accounting for various physical effects such as lensing and foreground contamination. Additionally, the large amount of data to be processed can also present computational challenges.

What are some practical applications of integrating C_l?

Integrating C_l has many practical applications in cosmology and astrophysics. It is used to constrain cosmological parameters, study the physics of the early universe, and test various theories of cosmology and gravity. It is also an important tool for analyzing data from experiments such as the Planck satellite and ground-based telescopes.

What are some future developments in the field of integrating C_l?

Future developments in the field of integrating C_l include improving numerical techniques for faster and more accurate calculations, developing new methods to account for systematics and uncertainties in the data, and using advanced statistical techniques to extract more information from the C_l data. There is also ongoing research into using machine learning and artificial intelligence methods for C_l integration.