Integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx

In summary, the conversation involved solving an integral using by parts integration and resulted in the final answer of pi/24. The person also asked for advice and received a suggestion to take the derivative to check the correctness of the result. Another person provided a suggestion to use circular trigonometry and the integral was confirmed to be \pi^2/16 - 1/2. There was also a clarification about the limits of integration.
Electro
Hello everyone,
I was solving an integral, but I am not quite sure for the final answer. If someone has the time, just take a look.

Integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2)dx

I used by parts integration; using u=(sinx)^2 du=2 sinx cosx
dv = x v = x^2/2
I used once more by parts integration and I got as a final answer pi/24.
I need some advice. :smile:
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the derivative of your indefinite result. If it is correct, you will get your integrand

U need to integrate this

[tex] \int \sin^{2}x \ dx [/tex]

and the result wrt "x"...The integrations are not difficult,if u know a bit of circular trigonometry.

Daniel.

use [tex] \sin^{2}x = \frac{(1- \cos{2x})}{2} [/tex]

integrate by parts
Answer comes out to be [tex] \frac{\pi^2}{16} -1/2 [/tex]

Isnt the integral [tex] \int_0^{\pi/2}{xsin^2(x)}{dx} [/tex] ?

Yes,it is,but part integrating once,makes u integrate sine squared,just as I've written above.

Daniel.

1. What is the meaning of the integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx?

The integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx represents the area under the curve of the function x*sin^2(x) between the limits of 0 and pi/2 on the x-axis.

2. How is the integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx solved?

The integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx can be solved using integration by parts or by using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

3. What is the significance of the limits 0 and pi/2 in the integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx?

The limits of 0 and pi/2 in the integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx represent the range of values for which the function x*sin^2(x) is being integrated. In this case, it is being integrated over one complete cycle of the sine function.

4. Can the integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx be approximated numerically?

Yes, the integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx can be approximated using numerical integration methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

5. What are the real-world applications of the integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx?

The integral from 0 to pi/2 of (x*[sin x]^2) dx has various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the average power of a sinusoidal signal or determining the center of mass of a curved body.