Integrating a Taylor Expansion with Limits: Finding the Exact Value

In summary: No, the point of the expansion was to make the integral easier to evaluate. By expanding the function in powers of (x-2), you can substitute x = u + 2 and then easily integrate each term. So your final result would be in terms of u, but you can then substitute back in x = u + 2 to get the final answer in terms of x. And yes, your limits would change to 0.2 - 0.
chemphys1

Homework Statement

expand
f(x) = x^4 - 3x^3 + 9x^2 +22x +6 in powers of (x-2)

Hence evaluate integral,
(limits 2.2 - 2) f(x) dx

Homework Equations

Taylor expansion for the first part
integral f(x) dx with limits 2.2-2

The Attempt at a Solution

Expansion of the function I've done comes to
78 +46(x-2) +18(x-2)^2 +9/2(x-2)^3 +3/4(x-2)^4

But then I don't know how the x-2 relates to the limits 2.2 - 2,
do I integrate the original integral or the expanded one? And then how do I use the integral to get the exact value

any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
chemphys1 said:

Homework Statement

expand
f(x) = x^4 - 3x^3 + 9x^2 +22x +6 in powers of (x-2)

Hence evaluate integral,
(limits 2.2 - 2) f(x) dx

Homework Equations

Taylor expansion for the first part

The function is a fourth-order polynomial. Expansion in powers of [itex]u = x - 2[/itex] is nothing more than substituting [itex]x = u + 2[/itex] and collecting powers of [itex]u[/itex].

integral f(x) dx with limits 2.2-2

The Attempt at a Solution

Expansion of the function I've done comes to
78 +46(x-2) +18(x-2)^2 +9/2(x-2)^3 +3/4(x-2)^4

But then I don't know how the x-2 relates to the limits 2.2 - 2,
do I integrate the original integral or the expanded one? And then how do I use the integral to get the exact value

any help appreciated

Start with [itex]\int_2^{2.2} f(x)\,dx[/itex] and consider the substitution [itex]x = u + 2[/itex].

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
The function is a fourth-order polynomial. Expansion in powers of [itex]u = x - 2[/itex] is nothing more than substituting [itex]x = u + 2[/itex] and collecting powers of [itex]u[/itex].
Yes, but finding the Taylor series expansion about x= 2, as chemphys1 does, is a good way of doing that.
Start with [itex]\int_2^{2.2} f(x)\,dx[/itex] and consider the substitution [itex]x = u + 2[/itex].
Exactly right!

Have I got this right,

I integrate f(x) but with x = u-2

i.e integral of (u-2)^4 - 3(u-2)^3 etc

with the new limits being 0.2 - 0?

Not really sure what the point of the expansion I did was?

1. What is the definition of an integral from expansion?

An integral from expansion is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve, or the accumulation of a quantity, by dividing it into smaller and smaller pieces. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is a fundamental tool in calculus.

2. What are the two types of integrals from expansion?

The two types of integrals from expansion are definite integrals and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration, while indefinite integrals do not have any limits and can be evaluated using a constant of integration.

3. How is an integral from expansion calculated?

An integral from expansion is calculated through a process called integration. This involves finding an antiderivative of the function being integrated and evaluating it at the given limits of integration. The result is the area under the curve or the accumulation of the quantity.

4. What is the relationship between an integral from expansion and a derivative?

An integral from expansion and a derivative are inverse operations of each other. This means that the derivative of a function is the slope of its curve, while the integral of a function is the area under its curve. They are connected through the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals from expansion?

Integrals from expansion have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to calculate distances traveled, work done, and quantities such as mass and volume. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.