1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral - help needed please

1. Jan 27, 2006 #1
    I have been asked to explain without evaluating the integrals why the integral of x cos x from 0 to pi/2 is positive and the integral of x cos x from pi/2 to pi is negative. Also would I expect x cos x from 0 to pi to be positive, zero or negative??? And why ???

How can I do this without evaluting it??? :frown: some help would be much appreciated, thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Do you know what the graphs look like? Keep in mind that a positive function times a negative function is negative, etc, and the integral of a positive function is positive, etc.
  4. Jan 27, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

If [tex]f(x)\geq 0[/tex] for x in [a,b], then [tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx \geq 0[/tex].
  5. Jan 27, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Do not double-post, please.
    Haven't you got enough information on this page (you posted it 3 days ago remember?)? If you have any further questions, why don't consider to post it there, instead of starting a brand new thread??? :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:
    This proves that some never read the hints in the posts others have given, and think about it, instead, they are looking for a complete solution!!!
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?