1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Help?Newbie

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    Integral Help??Newbie

I apoligize in advance I am a newibe to this forum..
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

integral [(x+3)/(4x^2-8x+13)]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am currently studying CalcII we Just got into evaluating integrals by completing the square in the denometer however I cannot get this one to work out. I attempted to evaluate by completing the square I got 9+(2x-2)^2 but I do cannot get a substitution to the X+3dx, I tried to split it into two with the X/ and the 3/ but again get stumped at the 3/. Just looking for a little guidance that’s all. Thanks in advance for everyone’s help.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Integral Help??Newbie

Your completing the square on (x^2-8x+13) is wrong for a start. Can you show us how you did that?

4. Feb 23, 2010 #3

see attached image where did I mess up??

Attached Files:

• p.JPG
      p.JPG
      File size:
      7 KB
      Views:
  5. Feb 23, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Absolutely nothing messed up. You just messed up the initial posting. You left the 4 off of the x^2 in the denominator.

6. Feb 23, 2010 #5

now that I have corrected that (sorry) if I factor and complete the square nothing (that I can see) works out good for the "x+3" so I looked at splitting them the "x/" works out and substitutes well then turns into a du/a^2+u^2 or arctan, however I am not sure how to deal with the other with the "3/"?

7. Feb 23, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for the correction. x+3=(1/2)*(2x-2)+4. Is that the sort of relation you are looking for?

8. Feb 23, 2010 #7

Dick, where does the 1/2 come from?? does this seem like the logical next step? (See image). Thanks for all your help.

Attached Files:

• p2.JPG
      p2.JPG
      File size:
      4.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Feb 23, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't argue with x+3=(1/2)*(2x-2)+4, can you? It's just plain true. I worked it out by multiplying by (1/2) to get the x on the left side and solved for the constant. Now your integral is (1/2)*(2x-2)/(9+(2x-2)^2)+4/(9+(2x-2)^2). The first term is a u substitution and the second term is your arctan.

10. Feb 23, 2010 #9

Dick, Thanks for all your help and patientence but if the image attached repsents the original problem, and the problem + factoring / completing the square. Pardon my ignorance maybe I am just not seeing it but where is the (1/2) coming from? maybe it's just late here and I will look at it after a good nights rest. thanks for all your help, I am just trying to understand all this.

Attached Files:

• pp.JPG
      pp.JPG
      File size:
      3.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Feb 24, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's the deal. To do the integrals you'll want to substitute basically u=(2x-2), right? That makes the denominator 3^2+u^2. I want to write the numerator x+3 in terms of u=(2x-2) as well. Solve u=(2x-2) for x. x=(1/2)*(u+2). Substitute that into x+3. (1/2)*(u+2)+3=(1/2)*u+4. That lets you split the integral into two parts. The (1/2)*u/(3^2+u^2) part is a simple sub. The 3/(3^2+u^2) is the arctan like part. See?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook