Integrating a Tough Integral: Help Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult integral and various attempts at solving it, including integration by parts and substitution. Ultimately, it is suggested to make the substitution u=e^x in order to solve the integral, resulting in the answer arctan[e^x].
Weather Freak
I am having a heck of a hard time with this integral... I have tried everything what I can think of:

[itex]\int \! \left( {e^{x}}+{e^{-x}} \right) ^{-1}{dx}[/itex]

I tried integration by parts... I ended up getting [itex]\left( {e^{x}} \right) ^{-1}[/itex] even thought the right answer, according to Maple and my graphing calculator is [itex]\arctan \left( {e^{x}} \right)[/itex]

I then tried using substitution... I made [itex]u={e^{x}}[/itex] and then [itex]{\it du}={e^{x}}{\it dx}[/itex] but that doesn't help me, because I don't have [itex]{e^{x}}{\it dx}[/itex] but rather I have [itex]{\frac {{\it dx}}{{e^{x}}}}.[/itex]

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
make this substituion u=e^x
then (e^x)dx=du ---> udx=du ---> dx=du/u
the int becomes (1/(u+1/u))*(du/u) ---> (1/(1+u^2))*du the int is then arctan = arctan[e^x]
sorry but i don't knwo this latex language to write it in a more elegant way.

Thank you so much! It worked :) .

1. What is an integral and why is it tough?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is often considered tough because it requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve.

2. How do I know when to use integration?

Integration is used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics and science, such as finding the area under a curve, calculating volumes and masses, and understanding rates of change. Generally, if you are trying to find a total value or quantity, integration may be needed.

3. What are some strategies for integrating tough integrals?

Some strategies for solving tough integrals include using substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to break the integral into smaller parts and use known formulas.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating?

One common mistake is forgetting to add the constant of integration at the end of the solution. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and make sure they are correct. Another mistake is using incorrect substitution or not simplifying the integral before solving.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with integrating tough integrals?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can assist with integrating tough integrals. Some examples include WolframAlpha, Symbolab, and Desmos. It is important to use these resources as a learning aid and not rely on them solely for solving integrals.