Help Needed - Solving 3 Integrals

• Thread starter noblerare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, Gib Z suggests using tan(x/2) to solve the integral for third problem, and tiny-tim suggests using cotx to solve the integral for third problem.
noblerare
I've been having trouble with the following three integrals. If anybody could give me a hint on how to get started, that would be greatly appreciated.

Problem 1.

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{1+cos^2(x)}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I've tried writing it in these ways:

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{2-sin^2(x)}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{(secx+cosx)(cosx)}[/tex]

Let u=cosx
[tex]\int\frac{-du}{\sqrt{1-u^2}(1+u^2)}[/tex]

So far I've gotten nowhere. I've also tried to make the integral look like the integral for arctanx. I realize that I need to have a -sinx in the numerator but don't know how to make it work out.

Problem 2:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{sec^2(x)+tan^2(x)}[/tex]

I've tried writing it like:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{cos^2(x)}{1+sin^2(x)}[/tex]

U-substitution and trig-substition don't seem to work.

Problem 3:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{x^3+1}[/tex]

In this problem I actually got somewhere:

I split the denominator into two polynomials and used partial fractions.

I ended with:

[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]ln(x+1) - [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{(x-2)dx}{x^2-x+1}[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]ln(x+1) - [tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{(2x-4)dx}{x^2-x+1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]ln(x+1) - [tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{(2x-1)dx}{x^2-x+1}[/tex] - [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{-3dx}{x^2-x+1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex]ln(x+1) - [tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex]ln(x^2-x+1)+3[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{x^2-x+1}[/tex]

Now I'm stuck... don't know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first two, trying [tex]t= \tan (x/2)[/tex] should work nicely =]

Third one, for the final integral, complete the square in the bottom and get it into the standard arctan form.

Hey thanks for the help.

For the integral:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{1+cos^2(x)}[/tex]

I use u=tan(x/2) so, after much simplification, I get...

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{2(1+u^2)du}{(1+u^2)^2+(1-u^2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{(1+u^2)du}{(1+u^4)}[/tex]

Now I don't know exactly what I should do. If I try trig substituion, I end up with..

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{tan\theta}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{tan\thetad\theta}{2\sqrt{tan\theta}}[/tex]

Now I don't really know what I should do from here...

You should check your simplification, i get [tex]\int \frac{ 2(u^2+1)}{1+ (u^2-1)^2} } du [/tex] which can be done with some more partial fractions.

Hi noblerare! :smile:

Yes, Gib Z's tan(x/2) method is a good one, which you should definitely remember, and it certainly works in this case.

But in this case, the square means that tanx might work even better (or cotx).

Alternatively:

Hint: mutiply both top and bottom by cosec^2(x) … now what does that remind you of … ? :smile:

Yay! I finally got it. Thank you so much, Gib Z and tiny-tim!

1. What are integrals?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the area under a curve in a given interval. They are also used to find the antiderivative of a function.

2. Why are integrals important?

Integrals are important because they allow us to find the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. They are also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you solve integrals?

There are several methods to solve integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, and using special formulas. It is important to have a good understanding of basic integration rules and techniques before attempting to solve more complex integrals.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and results in a general function with a constant of integration.

5. Are there any common mistakes when solving integrals?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, incorrect use of substitution or integration by parts, and not considering the limits of integration. It is important to double-check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.