Calculating Integral: Solving \int_{0.5}^{\infty }e^{-jwt}dt

• Thread starter khdani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral I can be evaluated using limits, but the limit on the left does not converge for a general w. This is because the complex function e-jwa is a periodic function that does not go to 0 as t goes to infinity. To calculate the final result, you can use the limit of cos(x)/x or sin(x)/x, but it does not apply in this specific case as the limit is with respect to a and there is no a in the denominator of the limited term.
khdani
hello,
how do i calculate this integral:
[tex]
I = \int_{0.5}^{\infty }e^{-jwt}dt
[/tex]

i though it should be
[tex]
I=0 - \frac{e^{-jw/2}}{-jw} = \frac{e^{-jw/2}}{jw}
[/tex]

but it seems that the first part isn't zero...why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\begin{align*}
I &= \int_{0.5}^\infty e^{-jwt} \,dt \\
&= \lim_{a\to\infty} \int_{0.5}^a e^{-jwt} \,dt \\
&= \lim_{a\to\infty} \frac{e^{-jwt}}{-jw} \,\bigg|_{0.5}^a \\
&= \lim_{a\to\infty} \frac{e^{-jwa}}{-jw} - \frac{e^{-jw/2}}{-jw} \\
&= \left( \lim_{a\to\infty} \frac{e^{-jwa}}{-jw} \right) + \frac{e^{-jw/2}}{jw}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

You handle improper integrals by using limits, but the reason why you don't have zero is because the limit on the left doesn't converge for a general w. The complex function e-jwa is a periodic function.

[itex]e^{-i\omega t}= cos(\omega t)- i sin(\omega t)[/itex] for real t. That does NOT go to 0 as t goes to infinity.

i see.
how do i calculate the final result?

khdani said:
i see.
how do i calculate the final result?

I think you can use : [tex]\lim_{x \to + \infty} \frac{\cos(x)}{x}= \lim_{x \to + \infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=0[/tex]

Hermit said:
I think you can use : [tex]\lim_{x \to + \infty} \frac{\cos(x)}{x}= \lim_{x \to + \infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=0[/tex]

I don't think that helps in this case, since his limit is with respect to a, and there is no a in the denominator of the limited term

1. What is the purpose of calculating integrals?

The purpose of calculating integrals is to find the area under a curve, which can be used to solve various problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also used to calculate the total change in a quantity over a given interval.

2. How is this specific integral, \int_{0.5}^{\infty }e^{-jwt}dt, solved?

This integral can be solved using the substitution method, where u = -jwt. This will result in the integral becoming \frac{1}{-jw}\int_{0.5}^{\infty }e^{u}du. Using the limits of integration, the integral can then be solved using the formula for the exponential function.

3. What is the significance of the limits of integration in this integral?

The limits of integration, in this case, indicate the interval over which the integral is being calculated. In this case, the interval is from 0.5 to infinity, which means that the area under the curve is being calculated from 0.5 to infinity.

4. How does the variable w affect the solution to this integral?

The variable w is a constant in this integral and does not affect the solution. However, it does affect the shape and position of the curve being integrated, which can have an impact on the overall result.

5. What are some real-world applications of this integral?

This integral is commonly used in signal processing, specifically in calculating the Fourier transform of a signal. It is also used in electrical engineering, control systems, and other fields that involve the analysis of signals and systems.