Integrating a Tricky Equation: Need Help!

• Thread starter iamalexalright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the problem is asking to integrate the function \sqrt{\frac{1-cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta_{0}) - cos(\theta)}} from \theta_0 to \theta, and the book suggests substituting \theta = \pi - 2\gamma to simplify. The resulting substitution leads to using the double angle formula for cosine, \cos(\theta)=\cos(\pi-2\,\gamma)= -cos(2\gamma).
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

trying to integrate this:
[tex]\int^{\theta}_{\theta_{0}} \sqrt{\frac{1-cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta_{0}) - cos(\theta)}d\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

My book tells me to let theta = pi - 2gamma and then simplify from there but I'm just not seeing that ! any hints? is there a trig identity that I'm missing ? (the only thing I see is to change the sign of the cosines but I don't see where that gets me).

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integrand kind of blows up in the lower limit. Make the following substitutions and see what you get

[tex] \cos \theta_0 = A \, , \, \tan\frac{\theta}{2} = x [/tex]

Do you get a simplification ?

Get the dθ out of the radicand.

[tex]\int^{\theta}_{\theta_{0}} \sqrt{\frac{1-\cos(\theta)}{\cos(\theta_{0}) - \cos(\theta)}}\ d\theta[/tex]

What do you get if you use the hint, [tex]\text{Let }\theta=\pi-2\,\gamma\,?[/tex]

[tex]\cos(\theta)=\cos(\pi-2\,\gamma)=\cos(\pi)\cos(2\,\gamma)+\sin(\pi)\sin(2\,\gamma)=\quad?[/tex]

Then you have a choice for [tex]\cos(2\,\gamma).\quad\quad\cos(2x)=2\cos^2(x)-1=1-2\sin^2(x)[/tex]

Btw... the upper limit should be pi...

And I forgot about my double angle formula... just now working through simplifying with that

[tex]
\cos(\theta)=\cos(\pi-2\,\gamma)=\cos(\pi)\cos(2\,\gamma)+\sin(\pi)\sin( 2\,\gamma)= -cos(2\gamma)
[/tex]

1. What is the process for integrating a tricky equation?

The process for integrating a tricky equation involves breaking down the equation into smaller parts, identifying the appropriate integration techniques, and then applying those techniques to solve the problem.

2. What are some common integration techniques used for tricky equations?

Some common integration techniques include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. It is important to have a good understanding of each technique and when to use them.

3. How can I determine which integration technique to use for a tricky equation?

Choosing the right integration technique depends on the form of the equation. For example, if the equation contains a product of two functions, integration by parts would be a suitable technique. If the equation contains trigonometric functions, trigonometric substitution would be more appropriate.

4. What are some tips for solving tricky integration problems efficiently?

Some tips for solving tricky integration problems efficiently include practicing regularly, understanding the properties of different functions, and using algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and solve each part separately.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating a tricky equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating a tricky equation include forgetting to use the chain rule when dealing with composite functions, making sign errors, and not simplifying the equation before integrating. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure all steps are correct.