Solving an Integral: Helping a Friend

• Thread starter jaidon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about solving the integral of 5x^3(1+x^2)^1/2. The original poster tried to solve it using a u-substitution, but the answer they got did not match the given answer. After some discussion and input from others, it was discovered that there was a typo in the original question and it should have been 5x(1+x^2)^1/3. The conversation ended with the acknowledgement that the original poster's method was correct and the given answer was incorrect due to the typo.
jaidon
this should be easy, but I'm struggling. I'm trying to help a friend solve:

integral(5x^3(1+x^2)^1/2), sorry i don't know how to do the integral sign.

i did a u sub with u=1+x^2, du=2xdx
and u-1=x^2

so:

(5/2)integral((u-1)(u)^1/2)

i get (1+x^2)^5/2-10/6(1+x^2)^3/2 +C

the answer says it should be 15/8(1+x^2)^4/3+C

i'm not sure what i have done wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
********THIS WAS WRONG*********

Last edited:
Umm. hmph. Thats weird.

wow. that is unlike either answer i posted. i guess i should have stated that the only special way they have learned to solve integrals is with a u sub. did you see what exactly i did wrong in the way i tried to solve it? sometimes one needs an extra pair of eyes to find the error.

Wait a minute.

[tex] t = tan(u) [/tex]

[tex] dt = tan(u)sec(u)du [/tex]

is incorrect. dt = sec ^2 (u) du

Oh I see where I messed up.

[tex] \int{5x^3\sqrt{1+x^2}}{dx} [/tex]

You can do this with the trig substitution [tex] x = tan(u) [/tex]
Then [tex] dx = sec^2(u)du [/tex]

The integral becomes:

[tex] 5\int{tan^3(u)\sqrt{1+tan^2(u)}sec^2(u)}{du} [/tex]

[tex] 1 + tan^2(u) = sec^2(u) [/tex]

[tex] 5\int{tan^3(u)\sqrt{sec^2(u)}sec^2(u)}{du} [/tex]

[tex] 5\int{tan^3(u)sec^3(u){du} [/tex]

[tex] 5\int{tan^2(u)sec^2(u)sec(u)tan(u)}{du} [/tex]

[tex] 5\int{(1-sec^2(u))sec^2(u)sec(u)tan(u)}{du}[/tex]

Substituting [tex] t = sec(u), dt=sec(u)tan(u)du [/tex]

[tex] 5\int{(1-t^2)t^2dt = 5\int{t^2-t^4}{dt}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{5t^3}{3}-\frac{5t^5}{5} [/tex]

I butchered that first one but I don't see anything wrong with this one.

Last edited:
[tex] \frac{5}{2}\int(u-1)\sqrt{u}{du} [/tex]

sorry, but I'm not sure how your answer is equivalent to the answer she was given ie)15/8(1+x^2)^4/3 +C. also, i guess i wasn't clear in my last post. they haven't done trig subs, by parts, partial fractions, etc, nothing like that yet. all they have done is u subs. this isn't even my question, but it is irritating me beyond belief. what is wrong with what i did?

[tex] \frac{5}{2}\int(u-1)\sqrt{u}{du} = \frac{5}{2}\int{u^{3/2}-u^{1/2}}{du}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{5}{2}( \frac{2}{5}u^{5/2} - \frac{2}{3}u^{3/2}) = u^{5/2}-\frac{5u^{3/2}}{3}[/tex]

Whozum,

did not mean to find little mistakes. But I did this one and got the same results as Jidon. You have made couple of mistakes in the final two steps.

tan^u = sec^2 u -1 = t^2 - 1

[tex] 5\int{(t^2 -1)t^2dt = 5\int{t^4-t^2}{dt}[/tex]

[tex] t^5-\frac{5t^3}{3} [/tex]

Jaidon: Your way is much simpler than trig sub. I don't see any thing wrong. Your book answer seems to be way off from what we are getting. Are you sure about that the given answer?

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with what you did, but the thing is when I derive their answer in maple I don't get anything near the original integral.

Its ok gamma, better you find them than we let them run.

does anyone agree with me that maybe the answer given by my friend's sheet is incorrect?

sorry Gamma, missed your post about the answer being wrong. glad to here that i am not way off base on this. thanks all for your input

You said the answer was 15/8(1+x^2)^4/3

[tex] \frac{15}{8} (1+x^2)^{4/3} [/tex]

Deriving that gives [tex] \frac{15}{8}*\frac{4}{3}(1+x^2)^{1/3}*2x [/tex] by the chain rule.

[tex] 5x(1+x^2)^{1/3} [/tex]

just wanted to let anyone who helped out with this know that my friend and i figured out, by looking at the derivative of the answer the prof gave, that there is a typo in the original question. it should not be 5x^3 (1+x^2)^1/2, but 5x (1+x^2)^1/3. it was written in such a way that i don't know anyone who would have read it as it should be. thought that was quite funny and just wanted to let my helpers know. thanks again for the help

jaidon

In that case I integrated it right :)

1. How do I solve an integral?

Solving an integral involves finding the anti-derivative of a given function and then evaluating it at the given limits of integration. This can be done using various methods such as integration by substitution, integration by parts, or using trigonometric identities. It is important to follow the steps carefully and practice solving different types of integrals to improve your skills.

2. How can I help a friend with solving an integral?

One way to help a friend with solving an integral is to explain the concept and steps involved in solving it. You can also provide them with resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or practice problems to help them improve their understanding and skills. It is also helpful to work through problems together and provide guidance and feedback.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral include incorrect application of integration rules, errors in algebraic manipulation, and forgetting to add the constant term when finding the anti-derivative. It is important to carefully check your work and identify any potential mistakes before moving on to the next step.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, there are calculators and software programs available that can solve integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving integrals before relying on these tools. Additionally, it is important to check your answers and not solely rely on the calculator's output.

5. Why is solving integrals important in science?

Solving integrals is important in science because it allows us to calculate important quantities such as area, volume, and work. These calculations are often necessary in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Additionally, understanding integrals helps us to model and analyze real-world problems and make accurate predictions.