1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral help

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1
    Integral help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the following inde nite integral,
    ∫[itex]\frac{x^3-5x}{x^3-2x^2+4x-8}[/itex] dx

2. Relevant equations
    I think I am right until i get to equating the equations when I do it the method im taught in class I get c=0 and I dont think that is right. However when i put it into a system of equations with the coefficients i get fractions.

I would like to know what to do next. Thanks

3. The attempt at a solution

First the degree of numerator is same as the denomenator. So i do long division and end up with

∫1+ [itex]\frac{2x^2-9x+8}{x^3-2x^2+4x-8}[/itex]

Now decompose the fraction part into:

[itex]\frac{2x^2-9x+8}{(x^2+4)(x-2)}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{Ax+B}{(x^2+4)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{C}{(x-2)}[/itex]

Then get a common denomenator for RHS
    = [itex]\frac{(Ax+B)(x-2)+C(x^2+4)}{(x^2+4)(x-2)}[/itex]

From here i tried if x=2 to cancel out the (Ax+B) term which results in C=0
    this is where i believe an error has occured.

My other thinking was can I expand then factor out the x^2 and x and constant leaving the A and B and C in whatever they factor into and then do a system of equations.
    My result this way is
    A= 9/4, B =-9/2, C=-1/4

Kind regards

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Those values of A,B and C are correct. However, in your initial attempt, you should not get C=0.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So the two numerators are equal: [itex]2x^2- 9x+ 8= (Ax+B)(x- 2)+ C(x^2+ 4)[/itex]

Taking x= 2 gives 8- 18+ 8= 8C which gives C= -1/4, as you have below, not 0. Did you forget the left side of the equation?

If, in [itex]2x^2- 9x+ 8= (Ax+B)(x- 2)+ C(x^2+ 4)[/itex], you take x= 0 (just because it is an easy number) you get [itex]8= (0+ B)(-2)+ C(4)[/itex] or [itex]-2B= -8- (-1/4)(4)= -9[/itex] so that C= -9/2, again as you say. Finally, taking x= 1 (again just because it is an easy number) gives [itex]2- 9+ 8= (A+ B)(-1)+ C(5)[/itex] or [itex]1= -A+ 9/2- 5/4[/itex] so that [itex]A= 9/2- 1- 5/4= 18/4- 4/4- 5/4= 9/4[/itex], again, exactly what you have.

Great! Now all you need to do is the integral:
    [tex]\int dx+ \dfrac{9}{4}\int \dfrac{xdx}{x^2+ 4}- \dfrac{9}{2}\int \dfrac{dx}{x^2+ 4}- \dfrac{1}{4}\int \dfrac{dx}{x- 2}[/tex]

5. Sep 6, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the reply, looking again at how i got C=0 was most likely due to it being very late at night :).
    But yes I find it easier solving for A,B,C in the system of equations. I see now that my thinking was on the right track and it was just the small error that through me off. Thanks for the help.

6. Sep 6, 2013 #5
    Is my final answer correct?

x + [itex]\frac{9}{8}[/itex] log | x2+4 | - [itex]\frac{9}{4}[/itex] arctan([itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]) - [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] log | x-2 | + C

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted