1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral I'm stuck on

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]∫x^2/(x^2+4x+8)dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried a few things so far and nothing clicked, I may be just missing something obvious ... if anybody sees the solution and could just give me the first step or a hint, that would be sweet ... this isn't for homework or a class or anything, just a HUGE list of integrals that was given to me a month or so ago via a kind sir on this forum so I could do a few integrals each day for practice. This one (pretty sure) was on the 2nd page of the list and I'm now on the 4th page, but it has been on a little post-it for the last two weeks since I haven't been able to figure it out as I kept going through the rest of the list.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

x2/(x2 + 4x + 8) is an improper rational function. I would start by using polynomial long division to rewrite the integrand as 1 + <proper rational function>.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    thanks, got it within 2 minutes of reading that ... knew I was just missing something simple.

x + ln(x^2+4x+8) + c

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook