Limit of x times integral of sin(t)/t from 3 to x

In summary: If you differentiate F(x) you'll find that it's a function of x that goes like sin3x. So the hint is to find a function that goes like sin3x and then use that function to differentiate F(x).
PhysicsinCalifornia
Integral in a limit??

Can anyone try to find the limit of this :

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 3} (\frac{x}{x-3} \int_3^x (\frac{\sin(t)}{t}dt))[/tex]

I know the answer is sin3. Can you show me the work involved (yes, i know the work also)

Hint: [tex]F'(3) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 3} \frac{F(x) - F(3)}{x-3}[/tex]
*edited* F'(3)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, since you know everything, what's your problem?
And, don't double post!

HINT:Use the theorem of Leibniz & Newton.

Daniel.

I echo arildno -- what was the point of this post? Why should we bother telling you thinkgs you already know? It sounds an awfully lot like you're trying to get someone to do a homework problem for you.

dextercioby said:
HINT:Use the theorem of Leibniz & Newton.

Daniel.
Which one?

What about L'Hospital's rule? And how about:

[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} (\frac{x}{x-3} \int_3^x (\frac{\sin(t)}{t}dt))[/tex]

Negative infinity too. It looks like it approaches limits numerically but I don't know how to prove it. Suppose we could just drop the fractional term as that goes to one. Jesus, suppose I should just ask what is:

[tex]\int_a^{\infty} \frac{Sin(x)}{x}dx[/tex]

Am I getting off the subject?

Hurkyl said:
I echo arildno -- what was the point of this post? Why should we bother telling you thinkgs you already know? It sounds an awfully lot like you're trying to get someone to do a homework problem for you.

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear on my first post. Let me take this opportunity to correct myself.

I was solving problems and this one came up. I looked at the solution (because it has the solution also) but I didn't understand how to do it because I didn't learn from the book. I just needed help on the different approaches for this solution.

The hint that I added was the one in the book

Also, it is NOT a homework problem, but a problem for me to do just for fun( i guess)
The answer made no sense to me because it used that limit i put as a hint in the first post. I'm not sure if i see the connection

The idea of the hint is to notice that the limit you're interested in is actually a limit like the kind in the definition of the derivative. Once you've identified what choice of F(x) will put it into this form, if you can differentiate F(x) in another way you'll be able to find this limit by simply evaluating this derivative at x=3.

In this case you already have the x-3 in the denominator, so you'll have to have

[tex]F(x)-F(3)=x\int_{3}^{x}\frac{\sin{t}}{t}dt[/tex]

What choice of F(x) will work?

1. What is the definition of an integral in a limit?

The integral in a limit is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a range of values. It involves taking the limit of a sum of values as the number of intervals approaches infinity.

2. How is an integral in a limit different from a regular integral?

An integral in a limit is a more general form of an integral, as it allows for a wider range of functions to be integrated. It also allows for the calculation of integrals that are otherwise impossible to solve using traditional methods.

3. What is the significance of using a limit in an integral?

The use of a limit in an integral allows for a more precise calculation of the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity. It also allows for the evaluation of integrals that would be impossible to solve using traditional methods.

4. What are some common applications of integrals in limits?

Integrals in limits are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to calculate areas, volumes, and rates of change. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate probabilities and expected values.

5. How can one evaluate an integral in a limit?

There are several methods for evaluating an integral in a limit, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The specific method used will depend on the function being integrated.