Integral in Physics - Learn How to Solve Problems

In summary, the integral in physics is used to find the total sum of infinitesimally small parts of something. It is especially useful for finding the total work done by a non-constant force, such as a spring. In terms of working with the equation B=((mu sub naught)*i)/(2*pi*R), if R is changing, dB can be represented as dB=((mu sub naught)*i)/(2*pi*dR). This can be simplified by multiplying and dividing the equation by R^-1 to make dR the numerator with a negative one power. However, in the case of an infinitely long wire, the equation already accounts for variations in r without the need for integration.
blackcode
Can you help me know more about the integral in physics? Sometimes, I see some problems use this to solve. How can I figure out? thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You usually use the integral when you want to do a sum of infinitisemally (Blah, my spelling sucks.. :P) small parts of something... or a sum of infinitesmally small parts of something multiplied by something else...
For example... work..
W = Fs (Where s is the distance in the direction of the force... leaving out the vector dot product)
If you were to, instead of take s as a whole distance, break s up into differential elements of infinitesmally small value ds, the work done over this infinitesmally small distance would be:
dW = F ds
And that uses the concept of integrals in the sense that you want the TOTAL work done... i.e. the sum of all those differential elements:
W = dW1 + dW2 + dW3... + dWn
Where n is where the segments finally end at the final distance.
And since the integral is essentially an infinite amount of sums of small bits of... stuff... you can use its concept to find the total sum.
It's especially useful for the work done by a spring; since the force is non-constant overall, which would mean ks^2 wouldn't work as a formula...
So, you use the concept of the integral...
At anyone point, the difference in work from the point just before it would be:
dW = F ds
You know that the spring force is F = ks... so: (where k is a constant)
dW = ks ds (Where ds is an infinitesmally small difference in distance)
Since it would be long and boring to do this by hand, we use integration:
W = integral (ks)ds = 0.5*ks^2
And that's where that formula comes from...

I probably made a mistake somewhere in my vague, useless, inaccurate attempt at helping you out, so I don't mind if someone corrects me...

By the way, I think this should be in another forum. :P

I'm working with the equation B=((mu sub naught)*i)/(2*pi*R). I know that R is changing, but I don't know what dB would look like. I thought that R in the original equation would be dR in the new one, but it doesn't make sense to me that dR would be to the negative one power. Do you have any ideas?

WhoWeAre said:
I'm working with the equation B=((mu sub naught)*i)/(2*pi*R). I know that R is changing, but I don't know what dB would look like. I thought that R in the original equation would be dR in the new one, but it doesn't make sense to me that dR would be to the negative one power. Do you have any ideas?

well as in equation
dB=((mu sub naught)*i)/(2*pi*dR) u can c dRis one of the denominator, to make it a neumerator, multiply and divide the equation with R^-1, there u have your dR with negative one in power. this is just done for the sake of simplicity coz it is sometimes easier to solve an intergral with variable in neumerator rather that otherwise.

I assume you're working with the equation for an infinitely long wire. The equation you have there was derived from a more general equation so if r varies you will not have to do any sort of integral. That equation is the complete picture in the limit that the wire is infinitely long. So in this case B varies as 1/r with a bunch of constants in front of it.

1. What is the concept of integration in physics?

The concept of integration in physics is a mathematical technique used to find the total or net value of a quantity by adding up smaller values over a specific interval. It is often used to solve problems involving continuous variables such as position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How is integration used to solve physics problems?

Integration is used in physics to find the area under a curve, which represents the change in a particular variable over a specific interval. This allows us to determine the net value of the variable and solve problems related to position, velocity, acceleration, and other continuous quantities.

3. What are the different types of integrals used in physics?

There are two types of integrals used in physics: definite integrals and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and can be used to find the exact value of a quantity over a given interval. Indefinite integrals have no limits and are used to find the general solution to a problem.

4. What are the key steps to solving an integral in physics?

To solve an integral in physics, you must first identify the variable you are integrating with respect to. Then, you must apply the appropriate integration rules and techniques to manipulate the integral into a solvable form. Next, you must determine the limits of integration and evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus. Finally, you must interpret the solution in the context of the problem.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integrals in physics?

To improve your skills in solving integrals in physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and principles. Practice solving a variety of integrals using different techniques and methods. Additionally, seek help from your peers or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular problem. As with any skill, consistent practice and determination will lead to improvement.