Prove Integral Inequality: f Nonnegative, Continuous on [0,1]

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the inequality \left( \int f \right) ^2 < \int f^2, with the limits from 0 to 1. The person attempting the problem suggests using upper sums and comparing them to the sum of upper sums squared. They also question why continuity is required for f, to which the other person explains that it ensures the integral exists.
adpc

Homework Statement

For f nonnegative and continuous on [0,1], prove.
[tex] \left( \int f \right) ^2 < \int f^2[/tex]
With the limits from 0 to 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to use Upper sums, i.e.
[tex]\inf \sum \Delta x_i M_i(f^2) = \inf \sum \Delta x_i (M_i(f))^2[/tex]
and then compare this to [tex]\inf \left[ \sum \Delta x_i M_i(f) \right] ^2 [/tex]
Am I in the correct way to prove it?
Why does f is required to be continuous, I didn't use this fact!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is the correct way of showing this.

About the continuity of f. You don't really need that here. The inequality is good for any function. But you got to make sure that the integral exists. And that is probably why they chose f to be continuous, because otherwise the integral may not exist...

1. What is an integral inequality?

An integral inequality is a mathematical statement that compares the value of an integral to some other value or expression. It typically involves a function that is continuous and nonnegative on a given interval.

2. How do you prove an integral inequality?

To prove an integral inequality, you must show that the function is continuous and nonnegative on the given interval, and then use mathematical techniques such as the Mean Value Theorem or the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to manipulate the integral and show that it is less than or equal to the other value or expression.

3. What is the significance of proving an integral inequality?

Proving an integral inequality is significant because it allows us to make important conclusions about the behavior of a function on a given interval. It can also help us to find bounds on the value of the integral, which can be useful in various real-world applications.

4. Can you provide an example of proving an integral inequality?

Sure. For example, you can prove the integral inequality: ∫01 x2 dx ≤ 1/3, where f(x) = x2. To prove this, we first show that f(x) is continuous and nonnegative on [0,1]. Then, using the Mean Value Theorem, we can rewrite the integral as f(c) * (b-a), where c is some value between 0 and 1. Since f(x) is nonnegative, we know that f(c) ≥ 0, and since 0 ≤ c ≤ 1, we have 0 ≤ f(c) ≤ 1. Therefore, f(c) * (b-a) ≤ 1/3, and we have proven the integral inequality.

5. Are there any special cases where an integral inequality does not hold?

Yes, there are some special cases where an integral inequality may not hold. For example, if the function is not continuous or nonnegative on the given interval, or if the techniques used to manipulate the integral are not applicable to that particular function. It is important to check the conditions carefully when attempting to prove an integral inequality.