Integral involving square root -

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integrating the square root of a complex equation and using u substitution and trig substitution as potential solutions. However, it is uncertain if trig substitution is applicable in this case.
winbacker

Homework Statement

integrate sqrt(1-x^-2/3)^1/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can think of is u substitution with u = 1 - x^-2/3. Obviously this cannot work because du differs by more than just a constant.

I guess I need to somehow factor this equation but I do not know how. I think I can pull out an x^1/3 or something but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever you see stuff like that in the square root, always think "Trig Substitution"!

Hint: 1-sin(x)^2 = cos(x)^2.

Do you mean

[tex]
\sqrt{1-x^{-2/3}}
[/tex]

or do you mean (as you've written)
[tex]
\sqrt{(1-x^{-2/3})^{1/2}}
[/tex]

the first one

maze said:
Whenever you see stuff like that in the square root, always think "Trig Substitution"!

Hint: 1-sin(x)^2 = cos(x)^2.

I'm not sure that trig substitution is the way to go in this problem. Trig substitution is a viable alternative for integrals that involve
[tex]\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{x^2 - a^2}[/tex]

Maybe it can be made to work in the OP's problem, but I don't see it.

1. What is an integral involving square root?

An integral involving square root is a mathematical expression that represents the area under a curve of a function with a square root. It is used in calculus to find the value of a function over a specific interval.

2. How do you solve an integral involving square root?

To solve an integral involving square root, you can use various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. It is important to first identify the type of integral and then choose the appropriate method for solving it.

3. What is the purpose of using an integral involving square root?

The purpose of using an integral involving square root is to find the exact value of a function over a specific interval. It is also used to calculate areas, volumes, and other physical quantities in real-world applications.

4. Can you give an example of an integral involving square root?

One example of an integral involving square root is ∫√x dx, which represents the area under the curve of the function f(x) = √x. This can be solved using the substitution method by letting u = √x, and then substituting back in the original function to find the solution.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving an integral involving square root?

Some common mistakes when solving an integral involving square root include forgetting to apply the chain rule when using substitution, incorrectly evaluating limits of integration, and making errors in algebraic simplification. It is important to pay attention to detail and double-check the solution to avoid these mistakes.