1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral involving trig

1. Jul 21, 2006 #1
    [tex] \int \frac{dx}{x\sqrt{a^{2}+x^{2}}} [/tex].

So, [tex] x = a\tan\theta [/tex], and [tex] dx = a\sec^{2}\thetha d\theta [/tex]. When we substitute we get: [tex] \int\frac{a\sec^{2}\theta}{(a\tan\theta)(a\sec\theta}) [/tex] which equals [tex] \frac{1}{a}\int \csc \theta d\theta [/tex]. I know that [tex] \int \csc \theta d\theta = -\ln|\csc\theta + \cot\theta| [/tex]. And [tex] \theta = \tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{a}) [/tex]. So I substitute this into the equation. How do we get from that to this:

[tex] (\frac{1}{a})\ln|\frac{x}{a+\sqrt{a^{2}+x^{2}}} [/tex]

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Can you write cot([itex]\theta[/itex]) and csc([itex]\theta[/itex]) in terms of tan([itex]\theta[/itex])?

4. Jul 21, 2006 #3
    yeah and I got [tex] \frac{\cos\theta}{\sin\theta}+\frac{1}{\sin\theta} = \frac{1+\cos\theta}{\sin\theta} [/tex]

5. Jul 21, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

Not in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex], in terms of tan([itex]\theta[/itex]). For example, cot([itex]\theta[/itex])=1/tan([itex]\theta[/itex]). What is csc([itex]\theta[/itex])? (hint: use sec2([itex]\theta[/itex])=1+tan2([itex]\theta[/itex]) )

6. Jul 21, 2006 #5
    [tex]-ln(\frac{1}({\tan\theta}+\sqrt{1+(\frac{1}{\tan\theta})^{2}) [/tex]

7. Jul 21, 2006 #6
    i got it. thanks

8. Jul 21, 2006 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

[tex]x=a\tan \theta[/tex] gives [tex]\tan \theta = \frac{x}{a}[/tex] so we have a right triangle where: the length of the leg oppsite [tex]\theta[/tex] is x, the length of the leg adjacent to [tex]\theta[/tex] is a, and the hypotenuse is [tex]\sqrt{a^2+x^2}.[/tex] From the triangle it follows that [tex]\cot \theta = \frac{a}{x},[/tex] what is [tex]\csc \theta[/tex]?

9. Jul 21, 2006 #8

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

An alternative way of solving it is to let
    [tex]u = \sqrt{x^2 + a^2}[/tex]
    [tex]du = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 + a^2}}dx[/tex]
    Then the integral becomes
    [tex]\int \frac{du}{u^2-a^2}[/tex]
    which can be solved by partial fraction decomposition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?