Effortlessly Evaluate Integral Involving Sec with Limits -pi/3 to 0

• Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to evaluate \int2(sec x)^3 with the limits as -pi/3 to 0, you can use the substitution method by setting u=sec x and v=tan x. This will result in the equation \int\sec x(\tan^{2}x+1)dx. By using the integration by parts formula, you can solve for the integral and evaluate both parts to get the final answer. However, this approach may be confusing and you may need further clarification on how u and v come into play.
kuahji
evaluate

[tex]\int2(sec x)^3[/tex] with the limits as -pi/3 to 0

I tried all sorts of things from breaking it apart to substitution, but known of what I tried work.

The book shows setting u=sec x & v=tan x

Then it shows the first step as 2 (sec x tan x) - 2 [tex]\int(sec x) * (tan x)^2 dx[/tex] then evaluate both parts to -pi/3 to 0.

Which is really what I'm not understanding. How did they integrate the first part & then still have the next part? I'm also not seeing how u & v come into play.

Guess I'm just plain lost on this one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Substitution

As Griffith's puts it, paraphrased, you can move the derivative from one variable to the other under an integral, and you'll just pick up a minus sign and a boundary term.

Thus the equation:
[tex]\int_a^buv'dx=\left.uv\right|_a^b-\int_a^bu'vdx[/tex]

[tex]\int\sec x(\tan^{2}x+1)dx[/tex]
[tex]\int\sec x\tan^{2}xdx+\int\sec xdx[/tex]

[tex]u=\sec x[/tex]
[tex]du=\sec x \tan x dx[/tex]

[tex]dV=\tan^{2}xdx[/tex]
[tex]V=\sec x[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of an integral involving sec?

An integral involving the secant function is a mathematical expression that represents the area under the curve of the secant function over a given interval on the x-axis.

2. How is the integral involving sec calculated?

The integral involving sec is calculated using the rules of integration, specifically the substitution method, which involves replacing the secant function with its trigonometric identity and then using the power rule to integrate.

3. What are the applications of integrals involving sec?

Integrals involving sec have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the velocity of an object, and the cost of production in a business.

4. What is the relationship between sec and its integral?

The secant function is the derivative of the tangent function, and its integral is the inverse of the tangent function. This relationship is important in solving integrals involving sec because it allows for the use of trigonometric identities to simplify the integration process.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving integrals involving sec?

Yes, there are special techniques, such as integration by parts and partial fractions, that can be used to solve more complex integrals involving sec. It is important to have a strong understanding of these techniques in order to solve a variety of integral problems involving sec.