1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral is typical arctan type

1. Apr 6, 2005 #1

[tex]\int 4(1+x^2)^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]2\int \frac{u^{-1}}{x} dx[/tex]

I know I did something wrong, any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,your integral is typical [itex] \arctan [/itex] type...You should know this

[tex] \int \frac{dx}{1+x^{2}} [/tex]

by heart...

4. Apr 6, 2005 #3
    If you make a substitution, you need to arrange it such that the resulting expression does not contain the variable you substituted for.

Here, you had

[tex]\int 4(1+x^2)^{-1} \ dx,[/tex]

and made the substitution

[tex]u = 1 + x^2 \Longrightarrow du = 2x \ dx \Longrightarrow \frac{du}{2x} = dx[/tex]

you now need to express [itex]dx[/itex] in terms of only [itex]u[/itex], ie. with no [itex]x[/itex]'s on the left side. You can do this by noting

[tex]2x = 2\sqrt{(x^2 + 1) - 1} = 2\sqrt{u - 1}[/tex]

so you get

[tex] dx = \frac{du}{2\sqrt{u - 1}}[/tex]

so your integral is

[tex]\int \frac{4}{2u\sqrt{u-1}} \ du = \int \frac{2}{u\sqrt{u-1}} \ du[/tex]

which is not very nice. I would advise seeing if you can find a better strategy to start with.
  5. Apr 6, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you make a substitution, you want to express everything in terms of the new variable before integrating. Try instead the substitution:

6. Apr 6, 2005 #5
    I've never really learned about acrtan... how does tan(u) fit into this equation?
  7. Apr 6, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If u know the substitution metod and apply it for the given function (tangent) u'll learn.

8. Apr 6, 2005 #7
    Subsituting [itex] x = \tan{u} \Longrightarrow dx = \sec^2 u \ du[/itex] simplifies the integral completely. Substituting these in gives

[tex] \int \frac{4}{1+x^2} \ dx = \int \frac{4}{1 + \tan^2 u} \sec^2 u \ du[/tex]

Then all you need to know is

[tex]\sec^2 u - \tan^2 u = 1[/tex]

which you can prove on your own, and I'm sure you can finish from there :wink:
  9. Apr 6, 2005 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whozum,you're wrong.

EDIT:Yoiu saw it & deleted the post... :rolleyes:
  10. Apr 6, 2005 #9
    This is a fairly straightfoward arctangent rule as others have said.

[tex]\int \frac{4}{1 + x^2}dx = 4 \int\frac{1}{1 + x^2}dx = 4\arctan{x} + C[/tex]

The rule for tangent inverses is [tex]\int\frac{du}{a^2+u^2} = \frac{1}{a}\arctan\frac{u}{a} + C[/tex]
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  11. Apr 6, 2005 #10
    don't forget your constants~
  12. Apr 6, 2005 #11
    Well, since this was a definite integral I thought I'd let the poster apply the bounds, but yes, you are correct. I'll change them...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?