Integral Limits of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral with a lower limit that is determined by the function max(a,b), which is equal to a if a > b or b if b > a. This means that the lower limit is either zero or the input value t, depending on whether t is less than or greater than zero. The conversation also mentions the search for a textbook or paper with similar examples to better understand the problem at hand.
femiadeyemi
Hi All,

I need your help, we we have an intergral like this

[itex]∫^{T}_{max \in \{0, t\}}[/itex] f(x) dx

what is the meaning of the lower limit in this integral? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The function max(a,b) is equal to a if a > b, or b if b > a. What the lower limit of your integral means, then, is that you have a function

[tex]g(t) = \int_{\mbox{max}(0,t)}^T dx~f(x).[/tex]

If t is less than zero, then the lower limit is zero. If t is greater than zero, then the lower limit is t.

Thank you @Mute, you are safer! I still have couple more questions though:

1. How can someone arrive at this type of integral?

2. Assuming the upper limit of the integral, T>>y, how can I implement that in my solution. In between can you please recommend a textbook/paper that I can use for this type of problem, I still have more of weird ones like this. Thanks!

Mute said:
The function max(a,b) is equal to a if a > b, or b if b > a. What the lower limit of your integral means, then, is that you have a function

[tex]g(t) = \int_{\mbox{max}(0,t)}^T dx~f(x).[/tex]

If t is less than zero, then the lower limit is zero. If t is greater than zero, then the lower limit is t.

You were the one who posted it! Where did you find it?

HallsofIvy said:
You were the one who posted it! Where did you find it?

I found it in a paper but the problem is that I couldn't make a sense out of how the equation of such was arrived at, so I was thinking if I could see some other example in which such equation was used, it will help to understand what I'm currently working on

1. What is the definition of integral limits of a function?

The integral limits of a function refer to the upper and lower bounds of integration when finding the area under a curve using integration. These limits determine the range of values over which the integration will take place.

2. How are the integral limits determined?

The integral limits are typically determined by the given problem or context. They can be specified directly, or they may be implied by the domain of the function.

3. What is the significance of integral limits in calculus?

The integral limits are crucial in calculus as they define the boundaries of integration and determine the exact area under a curve. They also help in evaluating the definite integral, which is used to find the total change in a quantity over a given interval.

4. Can the integral limits be negative?

Yes, the integral limits can be negative. In fact, negative limits are commonly used when finding the area under a curve in the left-hand side of the y-axis. However, the order of the limits matters and should be specified correctly.

5. How do the integral limits affect the value of the definite integral?

The integral limits play a crucial role in determining the value of the definite integral. Changing the limits can result in different values for the definite integral, as it changes the range of values over which the integration is taking place. Therefore, the integral limits must be specified accurately to obtain the correct value of the definite integral.