1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral manifold

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    Hi people,
    I'm learning differential geometry in a book (Intro to smooth manifolds, by John Lee) and I have some difficulties with the tangent distributions.
    Actually, I don't know what to do if, given a distribution spanned by some vectors fields, I want to find its integral manifolds.
    Can someone help me ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2
    I either do not understand your question or I may be stating something that you already know...
    Integral manifolds of a given distribution are all manifolds [tex]M[/tex] for which [tex]\forall p \in M[/tex] there is a linear map between the tangent space and the distribution at that point.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you read up to page 503? There, it is remarked that embedded in the proof of Frobenius' theorem is a technique for finding integral manifolds and an example illustrating the method is given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?