Proving Integral of sin(θ) - cos(θ) = -(1/2)ln(2sin(2θ)+2)+C

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the man was trying to solve for an integral of sin(θ)-cos(θ)dθ but got stuck on the last step. He was able to solve for the integral after multiplying by one and adding -(1/2)ln(2).
mattmns
Ok here it is,

Show that the integral of

sin(θ)-cos(θ)dθ
sin(θ)+cos(θ)

= -(1/2)ln(2sin(2θ)+2)+C

Now what I did was let u=sin(θ)+cos(θ) so that du=cos(θ)-sin(θ)dθ or that du=-(sin(θ)-cos(θ))dθ

Now I got the integral of

(sin(θ)-cos(θ))*du
u*-(sin(θ)-cos(θ))

And then both of the sin(θ)-cos(θ) cancels out and I was left with the integral of

-du
u

which is -ln|u|+C , plugging back what u was into that I got

-ln|sin(θ)+cos(θ)|+C
which I cannot figure out to be equal to what he said it should be.

The only thing I can think of is the C's being different and that causing them to be equal. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that their solution has a (1/2) out front. Try multiplying your solution by 2/2. (since 2/2 = 1, this doesn't change the solution)

Now, leave the (1/2) outside the logarithm, but use the power rule (n log a = log (a^n)) to pull the 2 inside the logarithm, and see if you can manipulate the result to get their answer. You'll probably be off by a multiplicative constant in the logarithm, but then you can use the fact that log ab = log a + log b to pull it out and absorb it into C.

Of course mutliply by one. I always forget to multiply by 1, but I never forget to add 0. Thanks

Edit...

Ok I now got to this answer

-(1/2)ln(sin(2θ)+1)+C

Now can I add -(1/2)ln(2)? And then pull the 2 inside the original log and make a new constant C? to get the answer I wanted of -(1/2)ln(2sin(2θ)+2)+C?

Last edited:
Bingo!

1. What is an integral math problem?

An integral math problem is a type of mathematical question that requires finding the area under a curve or the sum of infinitely small values within a larger value. This is done using a process called integration, which involves finding the antiderivative of a given function.

2. How do you solve an integral math problem?

To solve an integral math problem, you must first identify the function and the limits of integration. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to find the antiderivative. Once the antiderivative is found, you can evaluate it at the limits to find the final answer.

3. What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite and indefinite. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a single numerical value as the answer. An indefinite integral has no limits and gives a general expression as the answer, which can then be evaluated at specific values if needed.

4. Can you use a calculator to solve an integral math problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve certain types of integrals, such as definite integrals with simple functions. However, for more complex integrals or indefinite integrals, it is recommended to use integration techniques and solve by hand for the most accurate answer.

5. How is integration used in real life?

Integration is used in many real-life applications, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to find the area under a curve, which can represent physical quantities such as velocity or displacement. It is also used to calculate volumes, work, and other important values in these fields.