1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Multiples of a Set

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    I'm having a bit of a tough time interpreting <S> for a set S. I know for an element a, <a> is the set of all integral powers of a with respect to a given operation, but for a set S = {a, b, c}, what would <a, b, c> turn out as?

Edit: The source of my trouble is with this: The subgroup <9, 12> of the group of integers with addition as the operation contains 12 + (-9) = 3 (in order for it to be a group). Here is what the text says: "Therefore <9, 12> must contain all multiples of 3." I thought <9, 12> would only consist of multiples of 9 and 12, but apparently, there is more to it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2
    Not knowing more about the group in question, I am assuming that the group operation is addition. Then [itex]\langle 9, 12 \rangle[/itex] is going to be all linear combinations of 9 and 12, i,.e. [itex]9m+12n[/itex] for integers m and n. It turns out that that this is identical to the set of all multiples of 3.

I suspect that for any two intgers a and b that [itex]\langle a,b \rangle = \langle \gcd (a,b) \rangle[/itex].

--Elucidus

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply...it seems as though it never came to me anywhere in the text. I was thinking the notation for <a1, a2 ... an> was simply the set of all integral powers of the elements.

So from this, I'm assuming that < > with respect to addition can be interpreted as a linear combination between elements in the group, right?

5. Aug 22, 2009 #4
    Are you sure < > notation was never defined in that book? From your comments, I am guessing that (for that book) <S> means the subgroup generated by S.

6. Aug 22, 2009 #5
    Yup...that was part of its definition. The definition it gave was: <a> is the set of all integral powers of a for a given operation. They then went into further analysis. I just wasn't sure what <S> of a set S = {a, b, c, ...} was since the definition they gave was for a single element a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook