1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral norm proving

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show that ||f||1 = ∫|f| (integral from 0 to 1) does define a norm on the subspace C[0,1] of continuous functions

and also the same for ||f||= ∫t|f(t)|dt is a norm on C[0,1]

2. Relevant equations

(there are 3 conditions , i just dont know how to prove that ||v||>0,||v||=0 implies v=0)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If a continuous function is nonzero (or positive) at a point, what about its value nearby that point, and why?

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3
    yes if it is not zero ,then |f(x)-f(c)|<esillope then choose esillope to be f(c)/2 then it will get |f(x)|>sth..... but how can u ensure that f(c) >0 for esillope has to be >0

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have this property of integrals to work with: If ##f,g\in C[a,b]## and ##f(x)> g(x)## on [a,b] then ##\int_a^b f(x)\, dx > \int_a^b g(x)\, dx##

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5
    yes,i worked out the first one now,but how about the secound one for t f(t) i dont know how to construct the inequality that u have mentioned above..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook