Struggling with Calculating an Integral: Can Someone Help?

• Thread starter dragonblood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation involved a person asking for help with calculating an integral and then realizing their mistake. They had initially substituted and transformed the integral but had made an error in the process. After receiving a helpful tip, they were able to solve the integral quickly by adding and subtracting a term in the numerator.
dragonblood
I'm having trouble calculating an integral:

[tex]\int_0^1{\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}dx}[/tex]

I decided to do a substitution:

[tex]u=\sqrt{x}[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}dx=\frac{1}{2u}dx[/tex]
thus making the integral look like this:
[tex]\int_0^1{\frac{1}{2u}\cdot\frac{1}{1+u}du}[/tex]
I transformed this integral to:
[tex]\int_0^1{\frac{1}{2u}\cdot\frac{1}{1+u}du}=\int_0^1{\frac{A}{2u}+\frac{B}{1+u}du=\int_0^1{\frac{1}{2u}+\frac{(-1/2)}{1+u}du[/tex]
And tried to solve the integral like this:
[tex]\ln|2u|-\frac{1}{2}\ln|1+u|[/tex]
going from 0 to 1.

However, this means to insert 0 in an ln-expression. Obviously I have done something wrong? Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I did it now.

It was a simple mistake on my part.

The integral should look like:

[tex]\int_0^1{\frac{2u}{1+u}du}[/tex]

after substitution

and then it should be calculated with integration by parts from there.

[tex]\left.{\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{x}}\right|_{x=1} = \left\{\frac{1}{2},\infty\right\}[/tex]

I'm not entirely sure what that post means trambolin, care to explain?

Dragonblood - The solution comes out must quicker than integration by parts if you add and subtract 2 into the numerator.

I meant the -1 is causing the integrand blow up at x=1 for the cause of ln 0. But nevermind it is just the notation stuff...

Ah, yes. That is much easier :) Thanks

Q: What is the formula for the integral of 1/(1+sqrt(x))?

The formula for the integral of 1/(1+sqrt(x)) is 2sqrt(x) + 2ln(1+sqrt(x)) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

Q: How do you solve the integral of 1/(1+sqrt(x))?

To solve the integral of 1/(1+sqrt(x)), you can use the substitution method. Let u = 1+sqrt(x), then du = (1/2sqrt(x)) dx. The integral then becomes 2∫du/u, which can be solved using the natural logarithm function.

Q: What is the domain of the function 1/(1+sqrt(x))?

The domain of the function 1/(1+sqrt(x)) is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0. This is because the denominator cannot be equal to 0, and the square root function cannot take a negative input.

Q: What is the graph of the integral of 1/(1+sqrt(x))?

The graph of the integral of 1/(1+sqrt(x)) is a curve that starts at (0,0) and approaches infinity as x approaches infinity. It also has an asymptote at y=2x.

Q: How can the integral of 1/(1+sqrt(x)) be applied in real life situations?

The integral of 1/(1+sqrt(x)) can be used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving motion and acceleration. It can also be used in economics and finance to calculate the present value of future cash flows. Additionally, it has applications in computer science for creating efficient algorithms for data processing and optimization problems.