1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of 1/(1-x^2)^(1/2)

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to integrate [itex] \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} [/itex] with respect to x, using an appropriate substitution

I've tried using:

x = sin(u) which leads me to the integral being arcsin(x) + c
    x = cos(u) which leads me to the integral being -arccos(x) + c

however I have drawn arcsin(x) and -arccos(x) and they are not the same, is this because of the constant C? I.e the constant is not necessarily the same in both of the integrals? (The graphs are on *close*.

Also, I've tried using the substitution x = tanh(u), this lead me to [itex] \displaystyle\int \dfrac{sech^2u}{1-sech^2u}\ du [/itex], where can I go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, you're right. It's the constant. With the correct choices, those two expressions are equal.

You have the identity ##\cosh^2 u - \sinh^2 u = 1##. You should be able to show the denominator is equal to ##\tanh^2 u##.

4. Mar 7, 2013 #3
    thanks,

for the substitution of x = tanh(u) I seem to have gone wrong some where and I do not end up with what I originally posted:

[itex] x = tanh(u) [/itex]
    [itex] \dfrac{dx}{du} = sech^2u [/itex]
    [itex] \displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\ dx = \displaystyle\int \dfrac{sech^2u}{\sqrt{1 - tanh^2u}}\ du = \displaystyle\int sech(u)\ du [/itex] now I can integrate sech(u) by using the exponential form, however this becomes messy and I end up getting something more complex.

5. Mar 7, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I should have looked at your work more carefully. I didn't notice the mistake either.

You can get quite different looking expressions that at first glance don't appear to be equal, but you can eventually show that they are.

6. Mar 8, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I found ##\int \text{sech }u\,du = \tan^{-1} \sinh u## while Mathematica gave me ##\int \text{sech }u\,du = 2\tan^{-1} \tanh(u/2)##. If you plug in ##u=\tanh^{-1} x##, you get expressions which don't seem to be equal to arcsin x, but in fact they are, which you can see by plotting the functions.

7. Mar 8, 2013 #6
    Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted