Solution of Integral \frac{1}{lnx}

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the author is trying to find a solution for the homework statement ei(1,-1\ln(x)). They state that there is no easier closed form solution, but that with the exponential integral and imaginary numbers it will only be equivalent to the actual integral in a series.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find

[tex]\int \frac{1}{lnx} dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]t=lnx \Rightarrow \frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{1}{x} \Rightarrow dx=e^t dt[/itex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{lnx} dx \equiv \int \frac{e^t}{t} dt[/tex]

and well

[tex]e^t= \sum _{n=o} ^{\infty} \frac{t^n}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{e^t}{t}=\sum _{n=o} ^{\infty} \frac{t^{n-1}}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{e^t}{t}=\int \sum _{n=o} ^{\infty} \frac{t^{n-1}}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]=\sum _{n=o} ^{\infty} \frac{t^{n}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

Is there any easier closed form solution for this?

Likes selam hesen
Physics news on Phys.org
That would be, I guess, the http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LogarithmicIntegral.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently it's.

[tex]Ei\:(1,-1\ln(x))[/tex]

This seems a little unfair though unless you knew about such an integral?

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Apparently it's.

[tex]Ei\:(1,-1\ln(x))[/tex]

This seems a little unfair though unless you knew about such an integral?

Nope,never even heard of it. But my usual way is, if you can't get it out directly, make a series and approximate and hopefully it might turn into something nicer.

rock.freak667 said:
Nope,never even heard of it. But my usual way is, if you can't get it out directly, make a series and approximate and hopefully it might turn into something nicer.

Probably but with the exponential integral and imaginary numbers there it will only be equivalent to the actual integral in a series. Although I think in that case they are asking you to show the series rather than the actual integral as it is in distinct maths language. Like to see how to do this, sorry but I have no idea, so can't help, I just thought the answer my maths program spat out was quite interesting, good luck.

At least you know that the answer involves an exponentiation, and imaginary numbers I suppose.

Last edited:
rock.freak667 said:
[tex]\int \frac{e^t}{t}=\int \sum _{n=o} ^{\infty} \frac{t^{n-1}}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]=\sum _{n=o} ^{\infty} \frac{t^{n}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

erm … [tex]=\sum _{n=o} ^{\infty} \frac{t^{n}}{n.n!}\,.[/tex] :smile:

tiny-tim said:
erm … [tex]=\sum _{n=o} ^{\infty} \frac{t^{n}}{n.n!}\,.[/tex] :smile:

Ah silly me...forgot that n-1+1 is n and not n+1..thanks

Likes selam hesen

1. What is the solution of the integral 1/lnx?

The solution of the integral 1/lnx is ln(lnx) + C, where C is the constant of integration. This can be verified by differentiating the solution and using the chain rule, which gives 1/lnx * 1/x = 1/(x*lnx).

2. How do you solve the integral 1/lnx?

To solve the integral 1/lnx, you can use the substitution method. Let u = lnx, then du = 1/x dx. Substituting these values into the integral gives ∫ 1/lnx dx = ∫ 1/u du. This integral can then be easily solved using the power rule.

3. Is the solution of the integral 1/lnx unique?

Yes, the solution of the integral 1/lnx is unique, as it is a single-valued function. However, the constant of integration, C, can take on any real value, so there are infinite solutions to the integral.

4. Can the solution of the integral 1/lnx be simplified?

Yes, the solution of the integral 1/lnx can be simplified by using logarithmic properties. For example, ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b), so the solution ln(lnx) + C can be rewritten as ln(lnx) + ln(e^C), which simplifies to ln(e^C*lnx). This can further be simplified to ln(C*lnx), where C is the new constant of integration.

5. What is the domain and range of the solution of the integral 1/lnx?

The domain of the solution of the integral 1/lnx is (0,∞), as the natural logarithm is only defined for positive values. The range is all real numbers, as the solution is a single-valued function that can take on any real value for the constant of integration.