Can someone help me solve this tricky definite integral?

• Thread starter Killswitch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to find the integral of a circle with a given radius and filled with water up to a certain level. They are having trouble finding the correct solution to the integral and have tried using different tools to solve it. Another person suggests checking the notation and using trig identities to solve it. The conversation ends with the suggestion to draw a sketch of the problem to help with setting up the integral correctly.
Killswitch
I am trying to find the integral to this equation in order to obtain the cross section of a circle that has a radius = 2 and is filled with water up to 1.5.

For some reason, no matter what I do I cannot find the correct solution to this integral. Solving it myself I obtain:

∫√(4-(x-2)^2) dx = (x-2)/2 * √(4-(x-2)^2) + 2arcsin((x-2)/2).

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\sqrt{4-(x-2)^{2}} dx[/itex] = [itex]((x-2)/2)\sqrt{(4-(x-2)^2)}[/itex] [itex]+ 2arcsin((x-2)/2)[/itex]

Then solving for the definite integral of a=0 and b=1.5 I get: -29.439.

Using Wolfram Alpha I get:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+of+(4-(x-2)^2)^0.5

But I cannot solve the definite integral from a=0 and b=1.5 because the equation square roots a negative value.

Using Symbolab I get:
http://symbolab.com/math/solver/step-by-step/calculus/definite-integral-calculator/%5Cint%5Csqrt%7B4-%5Cleft(x-2%5Cright)%5E%7B2%7D%7D

But unfortunately when I solve for the definite integral from a=0 and b=1.5, I get the exact same result I did when I formulated the equation myself.

Can anyone tell me what I am screwing up? I am so confused >.>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure you have your integral set up correctly (always include the variable of integration dx in your integral expression.)

However, maybe this article can give you some ideas about the correct approach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_segment

It seems I did just forget the notation for dx in my equation. However, I solved using with dx in my original equation. That link you posted is useful for calculating the area of the circlular segment as well, but it does not take a calculus approach in order to solve it. It simple takes the area of the circle segment, subtracted by triangle within that segment of the circle.

I think I'm getting somewhere, probably can use more trig identities to solve it completely:
u=x-2, du=dx
$$\int \sqrt{4-u^{2}}du$$
Then trig sub. u=2siny, du=2cosydy and end up with:
$$\int 4cos^{2}(y)dy$$

Hmm can keep going I think that's right so far.

Killswitch said:
It seems I did just forget the notation for dx in my equation. However, I solved using with dx in my original equation. That link you posted is useful for calculating the area of the circlular segment as well, but it does not take a calculus approach in order to solve it. It simple takes the area of the circle segment, subtracted by triangle within that segment of the circle.

That's why when setting up an integral, it's sometimes helpful to draw a sketch of what it is you are trying to determine. I think if you do that for your problem, you will see that your integral formulation requires some adjustment.

1. What is the formula for the integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5?

The formula for the integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5 is ∫(4-(x-2)^2)^0.5 dx.

2. How do you solve the integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5?

To solve the integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5, you can use the substitution method by letting u = 4-(x-2)^2. Then, you can integrate √u and substitute back in for x to get the final answer.

3. Is the integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5 a definite or indefinite integral?

The integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5 is a definite integral, as it has limits of integration and will result in a specific numerical value.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of the integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5?

The geometric interpretation of the integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5 is the area under the curve of the function (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5 between the given limits of integration.

5. Can the integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5 be solved using other methods besides substitution?

Yes, the integral of (4-(x-2)^2)^0.5 can also be solved using trigonometric substitutions, integration by parts, or completing the square to simplify the expression before integrating.