1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of [(6x^2)(e^(x^2))]

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is an example problem from my stewart calculus book.
    the whole problem is "solve this diff eq: y' + 3(x^2)y = 6x^2
    next step is to find I(x) which is e^(x^3) and multiply everything by that
    then you say (I(x)y)' = 6(x^2)(e^(x^3)) and then you integrate both sides
    so I(x)y = the integral of [6(x^2)(e^(x^3))].
    this is where i have problems. i cannot figure out the integral on the right hand side.

the book then shows the answer to the integral as 2e^(x^3) + C
    and the final answer is then y = Ce^(-x^3)
    Also if someone could explain to me why the final answer has the negative sign in the exponent that would be helpful.

Ive looked at the problem for a while so maybe im doing something wrong or there is a trick im missing but ive tried to do it "by parts" with no luck. I was under the impression that you cannot just take the integral of an exponential like e^x^x.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you notice that you have
    [tex]x^2e^{x^2}[/tex]
    in your title but the integral you want is of
    [tex]x^2e^{x^3}[/tex]?

I mention that because I suspect that [tex]x^2e^{x^3}[/tex] can't be integrated in any simple form while [tex]x^2e^{x^3}[/tex] is easy!

Let [itex]u= x^3[/itex] and then [itex]dy= 3x^2dx[/itex] so your integral becomes
    [tex]\int x^2e^{x^3}dx= \frac{1}{3}\int e^{x^3}\left(3x^2dx\right)= \frac{1}{3}\int e^u du[/tex]

4. Jul 9, 2009 #3
    wow. im dumb. thank you.

p.s. where on the site can i see how to make tags for actual mathmatical symbols like you have in your reply?

5. Jul 10, 2009 #4
    When you open the Advanced Options of the post, you got the [tex]\Sigma[/tex] button where you can choose the mathematics symbol. This forum has implemented LaTeX, so you can write the formulas inside the tag [tеx][\tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook