Integrating Natural Logarithmic Functions: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about integrating a double integral involving a natural logarithmic function. The process of integrating with respect to y and then with respect to x is explained, as well as the use of substitution and the integration by parts method. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the reminder that it is easier to integrate ln(x+1) - ln x than ln (x+1)/x.
wubie
Hello,

It has been over a year since I last took calculus. And I don't recall how to take the integral of a natural logarithmic function. Here is the question that I am supposed to integrate.

double integral 1/(x+y) dA

where

R = [1,2] X [0,1]

So what I did first was integrate with respect to y first. I ended up with

ln(x+y)

with an upper limit of 1 and a lower limit of 0. Once simplified I get

ln(x+1) - ln x or ln( (x+1)/x )

Now I have to integrate with respect to x. But I can't remember how to take the integral of a natural log function. How do I proceed from here?

I can't remember if I can do the following:

Let G(x) = integral of ln( (x+1)/x ) dx

then

e^G(x) = integral of e^ln( (x+1)/x ) dx

which would simplify to

integral of (x+1)/x dx.

After I get a solution to the above equation I would then take the log of

ln e^G(x) = ln (answer)

to get

G(x) = ln (answer).

Can I do that? I can't remember. If not, how do I proceed from here?

Any help is appreciated. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't move the exponential into the integral like that.

That said, IIRC:

[tex]\int ln(x) dx= x ln(x)-x[/tex]
(You can derive this by using parts)

!@#$!@#$!@#$#!@$!@#!

I should have known I could have done it by parts. I see that now. Thanks NateTG.

And it's a lot easier to integrate [itex]\ln(x+1) - \ln x[/itex] than it is to integrate [itex]\ln (x+1)/x[/itex]. :smile:

1. What is the integral of a natural log?

The integral of a natural log is the inverse operation of the derivative of a natural log. It represents the area under the curve of the natural log function.

2. How do you solve for the integral of a natural log?

To solve for the integral of a natural log, you can use the formula ∫ln(x)dx = xln(x) - x + C, where C is the constant of integration. You can also use integration by parts.

3. What is the significance of the constant of integration in the integral of a natural log?

The constant of integration represents the unknown value that is added to the integral to make it a complete solution. It is necessary because the derivative of a constant is always 0, so it cannot be determined from the integral alone.

4. Can the integral of a natural log be negative?

Yes, the integral of a natural log can be negative. This can happen when the lower limit of integration is greater than the upper limit, resulting in a negative value for the integral.

5. Why is the integral of a natural log important in math and science?

The natural log function and its integral are widely used in various branches of math and science, including calculus, statistics, and physics. They have applications in solving differential equations, modeling exponential growth and decay, and finding the area under logarithmic curves.