1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of a Sqrt

1. Oct 14, 2003 #1
    I try to take the integral of sqrt(4x-1) with respect to x...

The correct answer is sqrt((4x-1)^3)/6, but I always get

2sqrt((4x-1)^3)/3... Can someone explain how to solve that integral pls.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK

No, it isn't.

Edit: My mistake; yes it is.

That's not right either.

Yes, you do a u-substitution. Let u=4x-1, so du=4dx. You then have:

(1/4)∫u1/2du,

which is elementary.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  4. Oct 17, 2003 #3
    If you didn't understand what the last person said when you take the integral of squrt(4x-1) with respect to xdx you must first find u and u prime (or the derivative of u), where u is what is in the parentheses, in this case (4x-1) so u prime (or the derivative of (4x-1)) = 4x, but you still have to deal with the remaining x and the 4 left by the derivative. To get rid of the 4 in the derivative you divide the integral by 4, and subistute for the x so. x=(u-1)/4, I'm you understand the rest. You multiply u^(1/2)*((u-1)/4) then take the antiderivative of that.

5. Oct 17, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem, by the way, is NOT the square root! You can easily integrate ∫ √(x) dx. √(x)= x1/2 and you can use the "power rule".
    The problem is that "4x-1" inside the square root. To get rid of that you make the substitution mentioned earlier: u= 4x-1 so that
    √(4x-1)= &radi;(u)= u1/2. Of course, you have to convert from "dx" to "du". Because 4x-1 is linear, that's easy
    du/dx= 4 so du= 4 dx or (1/4)du= dx.

∫ &radic(4x-1)dx= (1/4)&int u1/2du.

The power rule says that an anti-derivative of un is
    1/(n+1) un+1. In this case, n= 1/2 and n+1= 3/2. The anti-derivative is (2/3)u3/2+ C . Replacing u by 4x-1 again, ∫ &radic(4x-1)dx= (2/3)(4x-1)3/2+ C.

Since the original problem was given in terms of √ rather than a 1/2 power, it might be a good idea to set the answer in those terms: ∫ &radic(4x-1)dx= (2/3)(√(4x-1))3+ C.

6. Oct 19, 2003 #5
    Why can't you just int. the bracket like you would int. x^0.5?

Code (Text):

∫ (4x-1)^0.5 dx

increase the power and divied by it:

(4x-1)^1.5 + c = 2(√(4x-1))^3 + c
    ----------       ------------
       1.5                3

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  7. Oct 19, 2003 #6
    Because if you differentiate your result ((2/3)(4x-1)^(3/2) + C) you get:

4(4x - 1)(1/2)

which is not what you integrated.

8. Oct 19, 2003 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As Sting said, when you differentiate your result, you do not get the original integrand. That is because (4x-1)1/2 is a composition of functions.

f(u)=u1/2
    u(x)=4x-1

In general, a composition of functions does not satisfy the same basic integration rule as the simple function f(u).

edit: typo

9. Oct 19, 2003 #8
    Sorry, I meant to integrate it as a sight integral, where a multiple of the differential of the bracket appears outside the bracket, ie:

∫ f'(x) * (f(x))^n dx

in this case f(x)=4x-1 and f'(x)=4. The mulitple in this case is 0.25 which you can take out of the integral and put it back in at the end to get the right answer:

Code (Text):

1 * (4x-1)^1.5 + c = (√(4x-1))^3 + c
    -   ----------       ------------
    4      1.5                6

10. Oct 22, 2003 #9
    Lavalamp,
    That's how I learned to do it, way back in '87. I think it's much quicker and easier.
    Aaron

11. Oct 22, 2003 #10
    I only learnt about integration at the end of 2002, and then I only learnt about sight integrals earlier this year. That's why I messed up the integration the first time round.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?